Are you looking for more than just a job? Do you want to have a voice and feel a sense of belonging? At ICW Group, we hire innovative people who consistently adapt, grow and deliver. We believe in hard work, a fun work environment, and embracing creativity that only comes about when talented people collaborate to develop solutions. Our mission to create the best insurance experience possible.
Headquartered in San Diego with regional offices located throughout the United States, ICW Group has been named for seven consecutive years as a Top 50 performing P&C company offering the stability of a large, profitable and growing company combined with a small-company entrepreneurial spirit. Our purpose-driven ethos provides team members with opportunities to contribute, develop, and belong.
Exciting new opportunity to manage the Assumed Reinsurance reserving cycle, including the initial identification and categorization of individual treaties, the estimation of loss and expense reserves by treaty, and the aggregation of estimates rolled up at a portfolio level. This position will also identify and create processes for the audit of Assumed Reinsurance treaties. This position exists to determine reserve recommendations to the Chief Actuary and perform audits of Assumed Reinsurance treaties in support of company objectives.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Manages the identification of Assumed Reinsurance Treaties to ensure proper treatment in the evaluation of periodic reserve updates.
- Collaborates with Assumed Reinsurance department to segment treaties. Reviews treaties within Assumed Re and identifies themes for segmenting into categories by complexity as treaties are bound.
- Identifies, implements, and maintains an approach to flag treaties by categories within reserving files and communicates with the Assumed Re team.
- Partners with Assumed Re to understand impact of initiatives and book of business changes and incorporate into ongoing reserve analyses.
- Become familiar with Assumed Reinsurance department procedures to aggregate exposed limits and monitor catastrophe events to identify impact analyses for communication to senior management.
Manages the Assumed Reinsurance reserving cycle, including aggregate reserving approaches and updates to individual treaties requiring special reserve treatment.
- Creates and updates reserve files for individual treaties that require special reserve treatment due to contract features. Develops the periodic schedule to perform updates of individual treaty ultimate projections to facilitate loss reserve estimates and recommendations.
- Performs quarterly roll-ups of assumed reinsurance aggregate reserving approaches within 30 days of quarter-end, partnering with reserve administrator.
- Coordinates data and reconciliations for both internal and external audits and serves as the primary contact with the auditors for review of reinsurance operations.
- Refines reserve calculation methodologies in consideration of bordereaux monitoring and continuously seek to develop efficiencies in process management.
- Evaluates reserve impacts due to any regulatory changes.
Identifies, creates, and implements appropriate procedures for the audit Assumed Reinsurance treaties.
- Reviews current procedures for quarterly reserve reviews. Understands approach, update procedures, and documentation within the Assumed Reinsurance department.
- Schedules periodic audits.
- Performs audits of the Assumed Reinsurance department via sampling of a selection of treaties.
- Standardizes the process to roll-up information to the Chief Actuary with respect to Assumed Reinsurance in terms of summary exhibits tied to accounting information.
- Identifies and implements a process to review under-performing accounts.
- Creates and prepares monitoring reports and explains results.
- Reviews profitability monitoring reports and identifies strategies to enhance where applicable.
- Performs continuous review, documentation, and improvement of existing internal processes.
This role does not have supervisory responsibilities.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE ROLE
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university required with a major or emphasis in Actuarial Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the Reinsurance industry required; minimum 10 years preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of actuarial experience in loss and expense reserve estimation required or demonstrated proficiency via actuarial credential (ACAS or FCAS).
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Associateship of the Casualty Actuarial Society or Fellowship of the Casualty Actuarial Society preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Demonstrated ownership of reinsurance reserving, current state, building and executing future roadmap, highly desired. Familiarity with reinsurance principles and terms, reinsurance agreements, and the general types of contracts, including excess of loss, quota share, surplus share, treaty, and aggregate excess of loss. Familiarity with the implications of treaty exposure bases under losses occurring, or risks attaching, as well as common contract provisions such as reinstatements, aggregate deductibles, loss corridors, clash, catastrophe, ceding commission, profit commission, and sliding scale commission.
Knowledge of structured reinsurance contracts, including adverse development covers and retroactive reinsurance covers is preferred, including exposure to some of the more complex forms to transfer risk considering the financial aspects contained in contract terms. Ability to interpret reinsurance contracts and have working familiarity with a wide spectrum of reinsurance programs. Understanding of underwriting concepts including company/agency relationships' importance to the business success. Experience with SQL Server is a plus. Strong computer proficiency in Microsoft Office; advanced Excel skills. Understanding of current industry and professional standards/environment.
Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with multi-disciplinary groups and all organizational levels. Good presentation skills. High level organizational and project management skills to handle multiple concurrent assignments in a timely manner. Works efficiently and cooperatively in a team environment and involves others when appropriate. Ability to ask effective questions to elicit detailed and relevant information. Strong decision-making skills. Ability to work with mathematical concepts and trending analysis. Ability to apply principles of logic to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Organizational expertise with the ability to multitask.