Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryFulfill Bond and Specialty Insurance Claims mission by conducting thorough investigation, analysis, evaluation and disposition of claims to achieve superior customer service and claim results at the most reasonable cost. Effectively manage all assigned Bond and Specialty Insurance Claims, typically of lower severity or complexity. Interact and collaborate with claim and underwriting colleagues as well as with external business associates.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Within authority limit, evaluate, investigate, negotiate and resolve lower severity claims with moderate supervision by Claim Executive/Counsel or Claims management.
- Make appropriate decisions within claim authority and make appropriate recommendations to Claim Executive/Counsel and Claims management, when necessary.
- Balance outcomes with costs.
- Be accountable for accurate documentation/information in claim file Bond Claim Management System (BCMS). Adhere to Claim documentation standards (e.g. responsible party identification, liability analysis, settlement rationale and current diary.).
- Share newsletters, webinar information, case analyses, results of defense counsels legal research and/or litigation strategies with underwriting, Claim and Claim management.
- Prepare reports (e.g. trial, EC, Good News) for management to accurately reflect recovery strategies, resolution strategy with assistance from Recovery Claim Executive.
- Comply with policies, procedures, workflow and performance standards in order to comply with all regulatory and Bond and Specialty Insurance customer service standards.
- Seek to enhance knowledge in Bond products and services.
- Learn and utilize negotiating skills and strategies within a litigation and non-litigation context.
- Recognize issues with broader implications to Bond and Travelers.
- Represent Unit in claim strategic initiatives (or lead team); lead strategic initiatives.
- Provide superior customer service to internal and external customers.
- Responsibilities Specific to Management Liability and Surety:
- Maintain all necessary active adjusters licenses and remain current with all CE credit requirements.
- Be accountable for accurate documentation/information in claim file and Bond and Specialty Insurance Claim Management System (BCMS). Adhere to Claim.
- documentation standards (e.g. coverage analysis, reserve and settlement rationale, current diary).
- Keep Claim Executive and/or Claim Counsel apprised of claims being handled, seeking input and guidance, as necessary, for prompt resolution. With assistance and approval from Claim Executive or Claim Counsel, communicate reserve adjustments to underwriting and/or claims management.
- Identify all recovery opportunities and, where appropriate, coordinate recovery efforts with the Recovery Management Unit and claims management. Prepare reports (e.g. trial, EC, class action) for management to accurately reflect loss development, potential/actual financial exposure, coverage issues and claim.
- Proactively optimize pre-loss recovery opportunities through identification of potential sources of recovery, to include potential responsible party, co-conspirators, beneficiaries and any third parties (Accountants and Banking Institutions, Scrap Yards, Employment Agencies, E&O, or other insurance, etc.) and recovery strategies, with assistance from Claim Executive and/ or Claim Counsel.
- Within authority limit, retain, monitor, manage and approve payments to outside counsel on routine litigation matters, actively utilizing litigation management.
- Proactively manage litigation tendered to principals.
- Responsibilities Specific to Recovery Management:
- Communicate directly with responsible parties to negotiate collection arrangements and with District Attorneys/probation officers/insureds for restitution.
- Work with collection vendors (collection agencies, attorneys, staff counsel, on-line credit/asset reporting companies.).
- Efficient use of all on-line asset/credit/locate databases and other sites. Provide services to other throughout Bond Claim.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- General knowledge of computer technology such as Microsoft Office, e-mail, Web-enabled applications and database software required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Strong communication (written and verbal), influencing, negotiating, listening and interpersonal skills to effectively develop productive internal and external relationships. Takes initiative to stay informed and to keep people at all levels informed. Uses appropriate language, tone, style and structure in all communication. Developing ability to communicate with confidence and refining influencing skills. Presents a positive, professional image of the company through demonstrated expertise and knowledge of the company, its products and services.
- Works well independently as well as in a team environment. Uses available resources to efficiently meet or exceed service to customers, claimants and organization. Demonstrates ability to offer new ideas for improving operational efficiencies. Works with peers to resolve issues by listening for understanding, discussing all related to the situation, and coming to a solution.
- Technical Ability:
- Solid claim handling skills within authority level. Solid understanding of products and their application in claim situations. Working knowledge of Bond technology tools. Within authority, make claim decisions reflecting sound judgment on lower severity claims.
- Leadership: Takes ownership and responsibility for decisions and outcomes. Respect and trust of colleagues. Well organized. Meets deadlines. Demonstrates integrity, initiative and innovation in achieving results. Sense of urgency. Self-motivated. Participates in the training and mentoring of Associate Claim Representative
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.