Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThe Bond and Specialty Insurance division of Travelers is seeking to add an experienced Account Executive (Underwriter) to our Construction Surety team. This is an opportunity to join a successful, dedicated, and collaborative team of underwriters in a highly visible and challenging role. Account Executives (Underwriters) have the opportunity to build a unique and rewarding career at an Industry leader within a highly specialized niche of the Insurance Industry.
From the construction of the Hoover Dam to the renovation of the Statue of Liberty, Construction Services provides performance bonds and related services to general and heavy contractors, construction managers, and subcontractors. Construction Services underwriting includes financial and contract analysis, customer meetings, job site visits, and consultative services.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting in Construction Surety a dynamic blend of the following:
- Financial analysis/risk assessment: gather and analyze pertinent information in order to evaluate the acceptability of business risk within assigned book of business
- Marketing: build and maintain relationships with agents, brokers, and insured clients to help achieve business goals
- New business development and retention: sell to, negotiate with, and influence agents and brokers to manage a profitable book of business
Utilizing Travelers' extensive amount of resources and tools, a Construction Surety Account Executive (Underwriter) will immediately have the opportunity to make an impact and will:
- Manage a high quality, diverse, and complex customer base across multiple industries
- Partner with other high performing underwriters, senior leadership, and a highly specialized internal Claim organization to execute business unit underwriting strategy
- Design, develop, and implement a broker/agency sales and marketing plan specific to assigned territory
- Leverage Industry leading product expertise and data analytics to identify new business opportunities
- Benefit from cross sell opportunities and established relationships within other Travelers' business units
- Develop personally and professionally through experiences, coaching, active management support, and a wide variety of career development resources
Experience Travelers' unique culture which is collaborative, supportive, and values the need to balance work and life
- A minimum of 4 years of underwriting experience is required.
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 6 years of underwriting experience preferred.
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Understands industry business operations and work methods, critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the Company, BU, region and local office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the local insurance marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to Travelers advantage; continuously seeks out local market insight from others; is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches / mentors less experienced employees on a regular basis.
- Resident expert on BU products/coverages and pricing and the links to strategy. Is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches / mentors less experienced employees on a regular basis.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work.
Licensing or Certificates
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Able to use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools proficiently.
- Resolves significant conflict within and outside the organization without damaging relationships; is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaching / mentors others regarding successful negotiations.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; doesn't assume a single best way.
- Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
- Provides good role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.