Underwriter Trainee (Commercial Transportation, Commercial Truck)
Raise your hand if you're naturally curious and enjoy learning about different industries and how their businesses operate. We get that. In fact, this Underwriting Trainee role might be the perfect career launch to keep you learning, analyzing, and growing. This position exposes hires to all angles of the Underwriting profession and will prepare hires to apply analytical skills to evaluate business risk from an insurance standpoint.
Building a strong career foundation is imperative to professional growth – that's why our Underwriting Trainee program is designed to provide hires with the skills needed for a rewarding future in Underwriting. Trainees will be mentored by a designated coach to learn about the company, and the part they'll play in making IAT successful.
Our Commercial Transportation business unit at IAT Insurance Group has openings for Underwriter Trainees (Commercial Truck) starting in June of 2022. The position can be located in Naperville, Illinois, Houston, Texas, or Cheshire, Connecticut.
This is a great early-career opportunity, or a great position for someone with several years of industry experience who wants to continue to learn and grow in the insurance industry.
As an Underwriter Trainee, you'll make an impact by:
- Evaluating information to determine risk acceptability, price, and document decisions in accordance with company guidelines and standards.
- Making appropriate decisions based on evaluation of information.
- Effectively communicating and negotiating underwriting and pricing decisions to achieve optimal outcomes and ensure understanding of company direction.
- Documenting decisions in accordance with business unit best practices and regulatory standards.
- Building effective working relationships with other team members as well as internal company staff.
- Acting with a sense of urgency on all inquiries/requests.
- Providing unmatched customer service.
- Manage small territory with mentor oversight
- Assist with various reporting and project needs
- Performs other duties as assigned.
We're ready to onboard a candidate with:
- A four-year college degree, Juris Doctorate, or equivalent applicable experience (we will consider May 2022 graduates).
- Equivalent is defined as 4 years of applicable insurance industry experience.
- The desire and ability to travel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as demonstrated leadership, professionalism, organization, and time management.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by employer, now or in the future.
*Current IAT employees must have been in their role for at least six months and must have received, at a minimum, a “Meets Expectations” during their performance review to be eligible for the program.
IAT is the largest private, family- owned property and casualty insurer in the U.S. Insurance Answers Together is how we define IAT, in letter and in spirit. We work together to provide solutions for people and businesses. We collaborate internally and with our partners to provide the best possible insurance and surety options for our customers. It's about far more than being a workplace. We're a work family.
At IAT, our fundamental belief is to a create a culture where all employees are heard and have a sense of belonging. Inclusion and Diversity are not just initiatives, it's how we live. We're committed to driving and building an open and supportive culture. By embracing the uniqueness of our employees, investing in their development, listening to, and engaging their ideas, we are stronger as an organization.
Our employees propel IAT forward – driving innovation, stable partnerships and growth. That's why we continue to build an engaging workplace culture to attract and retain the best talent. We offer comprehensive benefits like:
- 26 PTO Days (Entry Level) + 12 Company Holidays = 38 Paid Days Off
- Healthcare and Wellness Programs
- Opportunity to earn performance-based bonuses
- 7% 401(k) Company Match and additional Profit Sharing
- College Loan Assistance Support Plan
- Educational Assistance Program
- Mentorship Program
- Dress for Your Day Policy
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and participate in E-Verify.
Come join the IAT family!
COVID 19 Statement:
IAT actively tracks COVID vaccination rates, possible symptoms, and cases across the organization so we can make informed decisions about workplace safety. As a result, while IAT does not require employees to be vaccinated, we will require anyone who is unvaccinated to be tested every Thursday and submit their negative test result by 9am on Monday local time. All employees are required to log their vaccination record, if applicable, and attest daily to being symptom free before entering IAT offices.