Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryAs a Lead Solutions Architect , you will help lead the effort to create the 'north star' technology architecture for a global, Dow 30 company. You will interface directly with senior technology leaders to transform our current business and technology capabilities and pave the way for best-in-class solutions. You will be a dedicated contributor to senior Technology and Business leaders as they define a target state, roadmaps and identify new and emerging technologies that will transform and optimize the business.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
Digital Enablement is charged with developing digital capabilities across Travelers and supports enterprise web, mobile, content and social capabilities. We deliver digital capabilities that enable Travelers to engage in a manner that attracts customers, builds loyalty and deepens relationships while differentiating the Travelers Experience.
The initiatives in this group will employ modern technologies and methodologies in order to deliver critical business functionality incrementally while adhering to business and technical architectural principles of reuse and multi-device deployment.
In support of these strategic initiatives, the Digital Enablement area is seeking a Lead Architect. This individual should have a combination of hands-on architecture experience as well as solid leadership skills.
As a Lead Architect, you will interface directly with senior technology leaders to transform our current business and technology capabilities and pave the way for best-in-class solutions. You will be a dedicated partner to senior Technology and Business leaders as you define a target state, roadmaps and identify new and emerging technologies that will transform and optimize the business. As an organizational leader, you will humbly serve and inspire a team of high-performing Architects who you will coach, mentor and empower.
As a successful candidate, you are a visionary leader with a track record of building high-quality enterprise solutions. You are results-driven and bring strong Architecture and engineering skills and a deep understanding of modern technologies and approaches including Cloud-native, API-first, Event-driven architecture, and CMS platforms. You are a person of high integrity, who believes in challenging the status quo when needed, while always first seeking to understand.
You will work within a community of architecture leaders, charged with establishing and evolving a unified architecture vision.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
This individual will be involved at a strategic and tactical level to design, develop and implement highly complex projects supporting a business and/or technology area.
- Understands potential impacts of proposed solutions on other systems, processes or projects. Articulates and documents these design considerations, tradeoffs, benefits and recommendations.
- Works with the Senior leadership within Technology and Business to develop architecture priorities and direction to enable business imperatives
- Displays strong thought leadership in pursuit of modern architecture principals and technology modernization
- Drives continuous technology transformation to minimize technical debt
- Looks for opportunities to capitalize on technology advances through analysis of key industry and technology trends to assess potential impact on the enterprise
- Defines and leads technology proof of concepts to ensure feasibility of architecture solutions
- Hands-on prototyping of new technology solutions
- Partners with Software Engineering to execute proof of technologies as well as collaborate on detailed solution design
- Develops roadmaps, transitional and target state architectures, and architecture elaborations
- Ensures alignment of IT initiatives with the target state
- Builds strong partnership with engineering to ensure proper alignment of skills with technology direction
- Adopts and communicates new concepts, ideas, techniques, best practices, and technology patterns. Mentors others on these new concepts.
In addition to working with individual projects, the Lead Architect may work on a number of initiatives managed by the Enterprise Architecture office. The incumbent may participate in developing the strategy and tactics for the modernization and replacement of legacy software components. This role will work with colleagues to establish and maintain methods and best practices for software architecture, to extend and refine reference models, and to keep current on standards, techniques, tools and enabling technologies.
- Six years of experience in enterprise, application, and/or information architecture within a line of business or enterprise area
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's in technology related field or equivalent with 5+ years of technology Architecture experience
- Provided mentorship to architects
- Organizational and transformational experience in an agile operating model
- Establishes strategic technology direction and architecture vision for an organization
- Strong, proven Software Engineering experience
- Developed technology target state, roadmaps that aligned to Short- and Long-term business goals
- Proven track record of influencing senior leadership
- Insurance technology experience
- Strong grasp of value creation and business capability models
- Innovation and Continuous Improvement
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
Has a broad conceptual understanding of capabilities and direction of technology particularly in the development of web, mobile, API, and cloud technologies. The candidate must have an in-depth knowledge of the technology required and the needs of business environment necessary to support assigned projects.
- Solid understanding of current and emerging application architecture concepts such as REST, Event-Driven architecture, Microservices, and Serverless.
- Experience with cloud native technologies (AWS - Lambda, EC2, S3, DynamoDB, RDS), platform as a service (Kubernetes, Pivotal Cloud Foundry), and Infrastructure as code (Terraform)
- Experience with modern application security, authentication, and authorization patterns and practices
- Recent hands-on experience with software development
- Executed technology modernization initiatives including migration to cloud native and API Strategy
- Experience with large scale technology platforms
- Knowledge of modern web, mobile, and database technologies such as React, Vue, Node.js, .NET Core, Redis, MongoDB
- Cloud Architecture Certification (AWS, GCP, or Azure) or strong architecture experience on Cloud
- Experience with automated deployment pipeline technologies such as Jenkins, CodeDeploy, CircleCI, UCD is preferred.
- Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) experience a plus.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Remote workers considered
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.