Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThis position is a technical individual contributor role in the Mainframe Engineering team within the Infrastructure & Cloud Services (ICS) division of Travelers. Specifically, the Mainframe engineering position within the team is responsible for all aspects of the evaluation, configuration, security and implementation of maintenance, version upgrades and support of our GDPS environment.
Under general supervision, demonstrates a thorough understanding of the activities performed related to engineering support, installation and/or operations of infrastructure technologies. Plans at an operational level designing and developing technology solutions interfacing with appropriate customers, management and technical resources. Facilitates and/or participates in the design, development, and implementation of large complex technology solutions supporting one or more business and/or technology areas. Develops and implements appropriate solutions that may involve multiple platforms, databases, software/hardware technologies and tools. Strong ability to multi-task in an environment of changing priorities.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain currency for all supported products. Ensure that no out of support/unlicensed products are used in production.
- Acquire subject matter expert level understanding of supported products / role.
- Collaborate with architecture to ensure technology design and build cost effective solutions that meet customer expectations.
- Design, develop, implement, and document solutions / enhancements supporting Realtime services.
- Multi-task and prioritize in accordance with project priorities and production availability requirements.
- Provide on-call support and perform occasional off-hour work on nights and weekends.
- Participate in Disaster Recovery Exercises several times a year.
- Knowledge of SMP/E installation software a plus.
- Evaluates systems specifications regarding customer requirements, transforming specifications into cost-effective, technically correct solutions.
- Prioritizes work and manages projects within established budget objectives and customer priorities.
- Responsible for establishing and managing to established quality control and security protocols.
- Provides the division, department and business area management with timely and accurate information regarding the status and performance of the assigned project(s).
- Leverages technology to develop, redesign and/or implement optimal technology solutions.
- Builds, leverages, and maintains effective alliances across technical and business community.
- Interacts with customers to achieve efficient, effective results.
- Multi-tasks, prioritizes according to business priorities and production availability requirements.
- Other duties as assigned
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience, required.
- Three years of experience in Technology required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Five years of experience in Technology preferred.
- Experience providing technical direction to project teams preferred.
- Working knowledge of infrastructure technologies such as Network, Database, Server, Storage etc. preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of the following technical skills:
- Foundational IT Infrastructure
- Operating Systems
- Knowledge of process discipline and IDLC methodology
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment (Frequency)
- Sitting (can stand at will) (Frequency)
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.