Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryThis role reports to the AVP Risk Control for Canada. Under general supervision the roles includes delivering risk control services to clients primarily in Quebec and Ontario in both French and English. Some work may include travel to other areas of Canada.
The role includes providing technical advice and account information to underwriting business partners for risk assessment and analysis. Assessments include working on complex accounts across all lines of coverage as well as marketing Travelers expertise to help support new business and account retention.
This job does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Conduct loss control surveys on-site at customer locations as well as virtually through phone or video conference to determine potential hazards and risk factors to support underwriting/risk selection.
Be able to conduct assessments and write technically detailed risk control reports in both French and English
Able to work out of town for multiple days in areas which may require air travel
Communicate complex technical information and recommendations in a manner which is understandable and clear to audiences with varied levels of technical knowledge
Complete all lines risk assessment evaluations for businesses with high complexity such as manufacturing, large warehouse operations, challenging property, products liability, large fleet and / or with significant exposures.
Partnering and having joint ownership with Underwriting to select, retain, and grow a profitable book of business.
Building and maintaining productive relationships with Underwriting, Claim, Risk Control Specialists, and Brokers to service customers as a unified team.
Discovering and evaluating customer needs through loss analysis and customer readiness in order to provide Risk Control products and services to help control losses
Staying current with technical subject matters, regulatory environment and emerging issues
Creating a valued customer experience through each assessment and service encounter Other duties as assigned
Conduct research as required on class of business, operations, unique exposures, or any other technical subject requiring similar analysis.
- Fluent in French and English
- Minimum 5 years Risk Control or equivalent experience required.
- Valid drivers license
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Post secondary diploma or degree in a related field preferred
- Certifications related to Insurance and/or Risk Control CRM, CIP
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Clear understanding of scheduling assessments and time management of assigned workload under minimal supervision
- Strong listening and communication skills
- Possesses a strong understanding of both Property & Casualty lines of coverage
- Demonstrates the ability to use behavioral interviewing techniques
- Technical aptitude in identifying exposures and hazards
- Analyzes loss information to identify root causes and develop loss sensitive recommendations
- Markets Travelers and the Risk Control organization effectively to customers
- Builds credibility with internal and external customers
- Familiar with the risk control service tools available to clients, capable of helping client navigate through the risk control website
- Agile and assertive in identifying methods for improving personal productivity
- Must be able to climb ladders and stairs and transition to and from ladders or stairs in order to access building roof areas and upper or lower floors within a customer site during risk control surveys.
- Have the ability to navigate through customer sites in a safe manner, which may include manufacturing areas, warehouses, storage yards, construction sites, etc. which may include low light, and / or unstable or slippery surfaces
- Be capable of making regular and prompt travel over extended distances by air or vehicle while demonstrating effective planning, expense and cost control skills.
- Must have the ability to work under exposure to extreme outdoor/indoor conditions (heat, snow, cold, rain etc.)
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing accommodation to persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the recruitment or interview process we will work with you to accommodate your needs.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.