Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThe Sr. Consultant, Compliance is primarily responsible for researching, analyzing, reviewing, and disseminating legislative and regulatory directives. In addition, this Senior Consultant will assist in managing various kinds of company licensing renewals for multiple insurance underwriting companies.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Review all regulatory content received through vendor to assess the potential impact of legislation, regulation, bulletins and other regulatory directives on all Travelers business units.
- In accordance with protocol, assign regulatory content to impacted individuals within the enterprise.
- Proactively monitor other sources to validate that information provided by the vendor is complete.
- Monitor progress of assigned users to ensure compliance with Corporate Compliance protocol and procedures.
- Interact with internal business product, legal, government relations, compliance, claim and/or outside regulatory agencies to discuss enacted bills and data calls.
- Disseminate regulatory notices regarding catastrophic events to designated enterprise-wide response team and coordinate follow-up discussions.
- Oversight of vendor to ensure parameters for content are consistent with the needs of the enterprise and that information is provided timely and accurately.
- Conduct training on vendor system for new users or others, as needed.
- Provide quarterly reports in support of audit reviews and Audit Committee reporting.
- Monitor daily communication and alerts from various state regulatory bodies.
- Draft routine state filing documents, including those required by state insurance laws and regulations, Uniform Certificate of Authority Applications (corporate amendments and expansion applications), and related insurance company licensing documents.
- Research and analyze law sources such as statutes and regulations, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, state insurance department publications, and National Association of Insurance Commissioner activity; prepare and update summaries on a timely basis.
- Prepare filings related to corporate transactions such as company name changes and affiliate mergers.
- Communicate with state insurance departments on licensing filings.
- Maintain a calendar of critical state regulatory filing dates and requirements; keep attorneys and other interested parties advised of upcoming deadlines.
- Coordinate and respond to requests from multiple business areas involved in the state regulatory process by way of consistent and timely communication with all interested parties.
- Build strong business relationships with internal and industry personnel involved in licensing-related matters.
- A minimum of 5 years of compliance and licensing experience, or a minimum of 5 years of regulatory/product compliance experience within the Insurance industry is required.
Licensing or Certificates
Paralegal Degree or Certificate or equivalent work experience is preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Strong communication, interpersonal skills and ability to relate to a broad array of clients across the organization. Listens and understands what others are saying. Shares information and maintains confidentiality.
- Knowledge of insurance business, including knowledge of business line products and procedures.
- Creative problem-solving skills and ability to identify complex, critical and sensitive compliance-related matters.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and legal research and writing skills.
- Strong operational and organizational skills. Knows how to get things done.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and also effectively with others in a team environment. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage competing priorities and multiple deadlines. Able to develop new methods, processes and/or approaches to achieving objectives. Is resourceful in solving problems by identifying customer needs and taking appropriate action to meet those needs.
- Self-motivated and self-starter. Demonstrates effective and efficient decision making.
- Knowledge of state insurance regulatory requirements and procedures is preferred.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Teams.
- Proficient in developing and managing of MS SharePoint applications (for example, at the 'mayor' level) preferred.
- Experience with adopting and learning new computer applications.
- Experience with matter management and document management programs.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.