Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThe Business Insurance Underwriting Professional Development Program provides qualified students with an excellent opportunity to gain first-hand experience receive valuable on-the-job training and learn more about the property & casualty insurance industry. Each intern will be expected to complete challenging and meaningful project work over the course of this program. In addition, there are core assignments and a designated coach to further develop interns' knowledge of insurance underwriting, sales and marketing.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
What is an Underwriter?
- Insurance is the contractual transfer of financial risk from one party to another. Underwriters (Account Executives) are the heart of the insurance process, gathering and researching pertinent information and then using finely tuned analytical skills to evaluate the acceptability of business and institutional risk. However, underwriters are more than just analysts - they are the core relationship builders with our agents and clients. They are responsible for managing a profitable portfolio of business through our distributing agents and brokers. An underwriting career includes a dynamic blend of analytical and marketing skills - it's challenging, stimulating and a superb career choice.
- Candidate must be pursuing a Bachelor's degree required.
- Approximate work availability from June through August (10-12 weeks) required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Because the Underwriting Development Internship Program is itself complex and dynamic, we welcome applicants that have a variety of majors, backgrounds and experiences. For the UPDP Internship, we are most interested in students who are serious about entering the insurance industry and who are excited about the prospect of making underwriting their future career choice.
- Preferred cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Undergraduate students completing their sophomore or junior year preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
- Targeted Majors:
- Business Administration
- Liberal Arts (with business focus preferred)
- Risk Management and Insurance
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.