Are you interested in taking on new challenges in a stable, mission-oriented insurance company? Do you have perseverance and grit? Prefer meeting goals in a collaborative environment? If this describes you, apply now.
United Educators is a member-owned company and a pre-eminent provider of insurance and risk management to over 1,600 educational institutions. We offer a dynamic, professional work environment for those who share our values and commitment to excellence. We foster an inclusive and supportive culture that embraces diverse ideas and opinions and provides opportunities for all to succeed. This starts with recruiting, hiring, developing, and promoting diverse talent, ensuring that the UE culture promotes inclusion and equity, and enables employees to bring their authentic selves to the workplace. A diverse workforce helps UE build strong relationships with current and prospective members, brokers, and other external partners. These groups also play a pivotal role in UE’s commitment to ensuring that our community reflects and embraces diversity.
The Underwriting Manager will be responsible for ensuring profitable growth of United Educator’s underwriting book of business. Using judgment, experience and applicable UE underwriting and rating criteria, the Underwriting Manager also will recommend or determine insurance eligibility, coverage terms, and premiums to be offered while managing assigned Underwriters.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Work on implementation of underwriting procedures and guidelines with underwriters
- Document underwriting thought process and decisions; quote and issue policies
- Respond to broker/member questions regarding scope of coverage, services, company philosophy, and resources
- Develop and nurture broker and member relationships
- Travel as necessary to brokers, members, and coordinate conference calls
- Decide actions on issues outside of staff authority
- Lead, mentor, coach, train, and motivate staff and team members
- Monitor, manage, and improve productivity, workflow, and adherence to service standards
- Be a leader in working with other UE Departments, including Risk management, Business Development, IT, and Resolutions, as it relates to members and brokers
- Demonstrate initiative and act on opportunities to create or improve underwriting processes
- Participate in special projects and other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 4 years of commercial lines underwriting experience; or equivalent experience. Professional Liability, EPL and D&O experience preferred
- Designation, or pursuit of designation, of CPCU or RPLU
- Requires mastery of skills of a Level III Underwriter and exhibits the UE Values of Teamwork, Innovation & Initiative, Quality, and Integrity
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, verbal and written communication skills
- Understands significance of business objectives with the ability to act in a decisive manner to achieve financial objectives
- Ability to multitask and negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change