Lead Actuary, Operations and Analytics
Grade will be determined based on candidate qualifications.
Manages an actuarial and analytics department in support of GRS North America's profit, growth, and operational objectives. Oversees actuarial analyses, with the highest degree of autonomy, in pricing, product development, strategy, business planning and finance. Applies a comprehensive understanding of the business implications and significantly influences the courses of action taken. Provides consultation to the GRS NA Senior Leadership Team and other groups regarding actuarial, financial, strategic, business planning, and other matters for the $7.4B North America business unit. Manages a staff of 50+ actuarial managers, senior technical professionals and business analysts. Oversees and directs complex cross-functional and organizational projects having broad impact for business decision-making.
- Oversees cross-functional work to develop and execute a strategy to get GRS North America to target profitability including capital, expense, planning, IT prioritization and profitability reporting, leveraging creative solutions.
- Works within a matrix reporting environment with the Casualty & Property Pricing teams, and the Majors, Middle Market and Specialty Actuarial teams to achieve collective objectives
- Sets vision, goals and direction of the 50+ member Operations & Analytics team.
- Develops, updates and maintains cross-lines pricing models & methodology such as the loss forecast model and aggregate model using the latest actuarial techniques, methodologies and data sources
- Directs and owns strategy around actuarial analyses related to capital allocation, ROE, expense allocations and target combined ratios.
- Coordinates and owns actuarial planning process across North America including claim count analyses, trend, loss ratio roll forward and strategy support
- Provides consultation to senior managers and other groups regarding pricing, financial, strategic, business planning and other actuarial matters. Applies a comprehensive understanding of the business implications and exerts significant influence over the courses of action taken.
- Monitors and analyzes financial results in order to communicate the impact of strategic and operational plans. Develops and revises strategic and tactical plans as necessary to meet corporate objectives and respond to environmental changes.
- Owns and improves several cross line and business unit processes such as rate, profitability reporting, reinsurance, ERM and indication methodology.
- Provides Underwriting Support to the CSO and Helmsman teams including account support, risk selection and tool maintenance
- Uses the objective setting and performance evaluation processes to ensure employees understand the expectations, receive regular feedback, and are appropriately developed and rewarded. Deals decisively with performance and/or conduct issues using the performance management process.
- Monitors developments in actuarial techniques researches laws and regulations. Analyzes developments in the marketplace.
Bachelor's degree required. Insurance designations desirable. Demonstrated expertise in financial management of a P&C business. Fellowship in the Casualty Actuarial Society (FCAS) designation required, or comparable actuarial education/designation combined with relevant experience. Ability to participate effectively on the senior management team. Strong analytical skills with solid understanding of all casualty actuarial techniques, standards, and assumptions. Expert knowledge of insurance operations and P&C insurance business. Excellent management and communication skills. Strategic thinking and ability to set direction for team. Demonstrated ability to exchange ideas and convey complex information clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing. Demonstrated ability to anticipate areas of senior management concern, integrate different perspectives, and respond accordingly. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills required to establish and build effective relationships within and outside the organization. Ability to give effective training and presentations to senior management and other groups. Demonstrated ability to organize, lead, and get work done through others. Ability to develop staff and managers to support succession planning and address on-going talent needs. Ability to build and manage talent across the enterprise in conjunction with peers. Demonstrated ability to exert influence over senior managers, operating managers, and others on matters of importance to the SBU.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.