Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryTravelers Data Scientists are taking the organization to the next level of intelligence by using advanced statistical techniques and machine learning algorithms. As a Director & Data Scientist, you will build complex models that solve key business problems. This may include the use of advanced artificial intelligence techniques to analyze imagery, text, and other unstructured data. You will communicate insights and tell the story using data to senior leaders. This role may manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead business or technical projects focused on the design or development of analytical solutions.
- Share expertise with the community through discussions, presentations, or peer reviews.
- Begin to challenge conventional thinking and set and manage expectations with business partners for large projects, generate and share ideas, and be aware of potential conflicts.
- Anticipate potential objections and persuade senior-level colleagues to adopt a different point of view.
- Communicate analysis, insights, and results to team, peers, business partners, and occasionally to senior leaders. You will lead group discussions and tailor communication to the audience.
- Be a mentor or resource for less experienced analytic talent, onboard new employees and interns, and provide support for recruiting and talent assessment efforts.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives, including delivering training to the analytics community
- Master's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Sciences, Actuarial Science or related analytical STEM field plus five years of experience or any suitable and equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Heavy concentration in mathematics, including statistics and programming, business intelligence/analytics, as well as data science tools and research using large data sets. Additional verification of specific coursework will be required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Masters in STEM related field or equivalent
- 5 or more years of related experience
- Subject matter expertise in modeling/ research/ analytics or actuarial required
- Subject matter expertise in value creation and business model concepts
- Subject matter expertise in multiple statistical software programs
- Ability to develop highly complex models, interpret model results and recommend adjustments
- Expertise in advanced statistics underlying data models
- Ability to apply emerging statistical procedures to complex work
- Subject matter expertise in 3-5 of the following: Regression, Classification, Machine Vision, Natural Language Processing, Deep Learning and Statistical modeling.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.