Billing & Collection Specialist
IAT Insurance Group (“IAT”) is a privately owned, specialty insurance company, headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina, providing a wide range of property and casualty insurance products meeting the needs of individuals and businesses. IAT consists of eight operating divisions, each sharing the same quality standards, commitment to service and innovation, and an overall mission of excellence. As an organization, we leverage our experienced leadership, sound analytics, proven operating platforms and extensive risk capabilities across the entire enterprise to deliver specialized, sustainable solutions for our customers.
With multiple offices throughout the United States, IAT has a large footprint throughout the United States. As a privately owned organization, consisting of nearly 1,000 employees, we are able to act strategically within an ever-changing marketplace. We are large enough to make a difference in the industry but small enough to be agile and nimble. Our focus includes meeting customer needs and fostering an exceptional agent and broker network to serve clients.
Furthermore, we strive to provide an environment where our employees feel empowered, challenged and valued. Not only does IAT provide a dynamic workplace, we also provide competitive total compensation packages and great benefits, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision insurance, a generous time off policy, company provided life and disability insurance, a lucrative 401k company match, and incentive plans.
IAT has an immediate opening for a Billing & Collections Specialist in our Kansas City, MO location. This role will perform multiple clerical accounting functions such as accounts payable, accounts receivable, billing, cash management, collections, and/or reconciliation. The ideal candidate will have two years of experience performing Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable, and will have an Associate's degree in Accounting.
- Batches and posts incoming remittance payments, processes credit card payments and checks by fax, and prepares daily deposit slip and general ledger entries.
- Verifies lockbox payment applications and making corrections as necessary.
- Makes the daily deposit to the bank.
- Processes non-sufficient funds and stop payments for returned checks. Notifies agent, insured, and underwriter of the returned check. Prepares general ledger and non-cash code sheet to reverse payment from insured's policy.
- Provides detailed customer service to all insured's, agents, and internal staff, including preparing statements of account and year-to-date payments received.
- Processes and maintains internal and external collection activities, communicates with agents, insured, and collection agency. Audits collection report monthly.
- Investigates, identifies, and resolves outstanding balances and account discrepancies utilizing daily and monthly reports; communicates with internal staff at headquarters and field offices.
- Resolves customer billing inquiries by preparing a statement of account when necessary.
- Cross trains and provides support for various other administrative areas as needed.
- Enters check requests into the accounts payable system and processes company checks.
- Processes entries into the general ledger system
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate with 2 years of relevant experience or equivalent.
- Equivalent would be an Associate's Degree in Accounting with zero years of experience.
- Must understand or have experience with Account Receivable, Account Payable, Collections/billing & invoicing.
- Must be able to work and feel comfortable on the phone, including outbound calls.
- Accounting experience in the insurance industry preferred.
- Must be comfortable with change
- Must be detail oriented.
- Must be able to work within a team environment.
- Strong Verbal and written communication skills are a must.
- Accounting experience is preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Outlook is preferred.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and participate in E-Verify.
COVID 19 Statement:
IAT actively tracks COVID vaccination rates, possible symptoms, and cases across the organization so we can make informed decisions about workplace safety. As a result, while IAT does not require employees to be vaccinated, we will require anyone who is unvaccinated to be tested every Thursday and submit their negative test result by 9am on Monday local time. All employees are required to log their vaccination record, if applicable, and attest daily to being symptom free before entering IAT offices.