Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThis position performs a variety of routine paralegal duties and legal administrative duties for assigned attorneys, many of which are unique to a legal environment and require a working knowledge of legal concepts, terminology, and processes. Assists attorneys and others in legal case preparation and file management for standard matters which may include preliminary legal research, drafting routine documents and obtaining, reviewing, summarizing all relevant documents, reports, records and other sources of information.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Compiles and/or drafts legal documents for review and use by attorneys such as routine documents, discovery responses, affidavits, and other routine legal documents.
- Prepares initial pleadings and filings.
- Prepares exhibits and other demonstrative evidence.
- Coordinates requests between multiple parties involved in litigation.
- Subpoenas records.
- Conducts preliminary legal research as necessary.
- Assists attorney in trial as needed
- Captures time and records billable time in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Reviews incoming mail to determine urgency and work with attorneys accordingly to draft and handle correspondence and email
- Acts as a liaison with experts and witnesses in scheduling/coordinating appearances and/or depositions along with documentation retrieval
- Schedule/coordinates depositions, medical examinations and other court designated hearings. Retains court reporters and interpreters, if necessary.
- Maintains attorney calendar as well as maintains diary and tickler dates appropriately. Reviews calendar daily and proactively handle upcoming events and determine dates upon which various pleadings must be served and filed
- Inputs and maintains information into case management system and ensure data integrity
- Assists with projects as requested
- May include all or the majority but not limited to these components
- High School Diploma or its equivalent required.
- A minimum of 1 years' experience as a paralegal, litigated claim handler or other law office support professional; or Bachelor's degree; or a Paralegal Certification from an ABA-Certified program required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Paralegal or litigation/claim experience preferred.
- Insurance related experience preferred.
- Basic knowledge of Medical Terminology.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office and PDF Software.
Licensing or Certificates
- Paralegal Certification from an ABA-Certified program
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Advanced interpersonal skills to communicate with court personnel, other attorneys and their staff, clients, witnesses and outside vendors.
- Advanced grammar and writing skills.
- Basic knowledge of general law office procedures and local court/jurisdiction rules and procedures.
- Highly proficient with the usage of a case management system and other software applications such as Microsoft Office.
- Ability to learn proprietary software systems.
- Ability to identify urgency and prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Basic research and analytical skills.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.