Risk Control Technical Director, Energy
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Under limited supervision, provides energy industry expertise, leadership, and consultative guidance to strengthen underwriting risk selection and retention. Leads as a thought leader to Risk Control by continually analyzing the portfolio, keeping informed about industry trends, and overseeing the implementation of ideas and recommendations across the department. Facilitates training and mentoring to Underwriting, Risk Control, and Claims. Accountable for communication and execution of high-quality risk assessment reports for energy underwriting.
At least half of the work supports the Energy Product Director with talent development and executing the Risk Control energy business strategy. The remaining capacity is to carry out risk assessment survey requests and deliver energy-related consulting services directly with customers. Completion of this dual role will require a balance of:
- Ability to influence others without direct authority.
- Leads and manages energy specialist network with Product Director input.
- Participates in the quality process through regular reviews.
- Participates in external industry, standards, or trade associates to support brand awareness and translate current information to the Risk Control organization.
- Delivers direct customer service primarily focused on complex technical/consulting needs across the organization.
- Demonstrates business impact by completing risk control service projects.
- Supports the acquisition and retention of profitable business.
Key Capabilities and Characteristics:
- Strong leadership, business acumen, technical and consulting capabilities, and project/change management skills used to contribute to developing a strategic plan for the energy discipline.
- Advanced knowledge of Risk Control principles, practices, and core capabilities related to performance and profitability.
- Experience with service planning/execution, risk assessment, solutions management, ability to demonstrate results (ROI).
- Inquisitive thinking and problem-solving skills used to influence change.
- Adaptability to changing and competing priorities demonstrating resilience and flexibility.
- Strong collaboration skills and commitment to continuous improvement.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with other departments, peers, and industry contacts.
- Advanced interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Required: Bachelor's degree in related field (or equivalent work experience and designations.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in safety and risk control within power and utility, renewable energy, upstream and midstream land-based oil and gas, and mining operations.
- Ability to facilitate onsite and telephonic risk evaluations of complex energy-based businesses across multiple lines of insurance coverage.
- Requires up to 50% travel
- Preferred: Professional certification CSP, ARM, CRM, CPCU, CIH, CPE, CFPS, PE.
- Experienced in fleet logistics and risk management for the energy sector. Proficiency to provide consultative services to customers with regulated and non-regulated fleets.
- Knowledge of master service agreements and basic contractual risk transfer mechanisms; energy contract knowledge is a plus.
- Ability to serve as an expert for energy-related inquiries from risk control consultants, business partners, and customers
- Thorough knowledge of safety practices and operational norms for the energy industry.
- Ability to represent the Liberty Mutual organization in energy trade-related committees and industry workgroups