Underwriting Specialist, Public Entity
A little about us
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Please see the posting language let me know if you'd like to make any changes
Develops, grows, and maintains a profitable, book of Public Entity business in the MidAtlantic region of the United States. This will be accomplished through effective underwriting decision making, development of a personal brand with agents/brokers, and application of underwriting tools, systems, and expert resources under limited supervision. Guides/mentors less experienced underwriters in their respective area of expertise, including regular employee coaching with feedback to the manager on progress of the employee. Remote working options are available.
- Risk Selection: evaluates or assesses the business applying for insurance by qualifying accounts; identifying, selecting and assessing risks; determining the premium, policy terms and conditions; obtaining approvals; creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker and successfully negotiating deals
- Agent/Broker Relationships: Demonstrates a high level of responsiveness and focus on supporting Agents and Brokers objectives through successful negotiations. Develops and maintains the relationship through responsive service, site visits, in person renewal meetings or enhanced knowledge of their customers businesses.
- Portfolio Management: Manages a sizable and complex book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification, and executing marketing plans to increase market share with preferred brokers.
- Documenting the Deal: Documents files in a way that reflects a solid thought process and decision making through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals.
- Leadership: Formally guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters in both technical and professional skills. Demonstrates an area of expertise and provides regular updates to other underwriters.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by fully engaging in daily huddles, generating suggestions, following appropriate procedures and work principles, participating in problem solving activities, and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
Advanced-level knowledge of insurance products/coverage, market segments and marketplace; insurance finance and actuarial concepts; loss control/risk engineering; marketing/selling techniques, regulatory environment and reinsurance; advanced-level knowledge of underwriting, pricing, risk selection, territory management. Ability to apply underwriting/appetite, tools, systems, and resources to achieve goals, solve complex problems, establish and build healthy working relationships, lead mentoring relationships, and negotiate, as normally acquired and a related bachelors degree eight to ten years of commercial lines underwriting experience preferred; CPCU or professional insurance designation preferred.