Senior/Principal Software Engineer
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Do you have the skillsand driveto join a tech team that's working to digitally transform a trillion-dollar industry? From test-driving the latest technologies to creating intuitive consumer apps, Liberty Mutual is constantly innovating and creating industry-leading solutions that provide peace of mind for our customers worldwide. As a senior software engineer at Liberty Mutual, you'll apply your talents in an agile environment that has the creative energy of a start-upand the full backing and comprehensive benefits of a Fortune 100 company.
- Collaborative partner: Working within our GRM Services Tech team of scrum masters, product owners and fellow engineers, you'll tackle technical challenges and ensure quality as we move to next-generation applications.
- Comprehensive problem-solver: As you manage the end-to-end development of software products, you'll analyze issues at the system level and handle any complications that arise by implementing effective solutions.
- Skilled technical engineer: You'll document and lead the implementation of technical features, improvements and innovations.
- Forward thinker and continual learner: Simply fixing the problem isn't enough; using your proactive mindset and initiative, you'll continually look for ways to improve performance, quality and efficiency; you'll share what you learn.
In this role you would:
- Develop and maintain scalable, effective, defect-free source code that meets business requirements and team standards.
- Leverage Agile/Scrum techniques to convert user needs into working applications that satisfy customer requirements.
- Interact with customers and development team to gather and define requirements.
- Work within project team (Engineers, Product Owners, Scrum Masters, etc.) on iterative development that delivers a high-quality product.
- Craft and analyze user stories for validity and feasibility.
- Provide functional/system integration testing support; Develop system/application architecture; Develop production support documentation.
- Plan work out appropriately, proactively escalate issues that may impact scope, schedule, budget.
- Understand and leverage the existing CI/CD pipeline.
- Mentor new Engineers and junior Engineers.
- Identify and recommend appropriate continuous improvement opportunities.
Desired development skills:
- Hands-on experience with React.js or Angular.js, and Node.js.
- Familiarity with event-based System of Engagement Architectures.
- Familiarity and drive to learn serverless technologies (AWS, Azure).
- Experience working with Agile methodologies (Scrum, Lean Startup, XP) and cross-functional teams (Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Developers, Designers).
- Demonstrates active pursuit of optimizing CI/CD process and tools, testing frameworks and practices (preferably GitHub, Jenkins/Bamboo, etc.).
- Ideally familiar with Design Thinking, Behavior and Test-Driven Development.
- Familiarity with test-and-learn approaches using web and customer analytics data, and an understanding as to how these drive hypothesis-based development.
- Proven track record of problem-solving skills.
- An understanding of essential security and privacy concerns for customer-facing fintech applications.
- Strong leadership, communication and collaboration skills with track record of taking solution ownership.
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of professional experience.
If you've read this far
If you've read this far, then maybe you're asking yourself what's special about our team and the work we do. At Liberty, we help our customers embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow by developing new products and services that suit their needs, building trust and loyalty, and providing an exceptional experience.
Our team is very collaborative. When presented with a challenge, we may not know immediately how we will surmount it, but we do know that we can come together as a group and, with our combined skills and experiences, we can rise to any challenge
Lots of companies are transforming. We're definitely transitioning more of our workloads from on-premise into cloud-native architectures, but we also have to enable existing workloads with new capabilities to meet customer needs. For us this means continual learning, identifying, and solving issues, with the goal of making our customers' lives better.