Senior/Principal Software Engineer
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Senior Software Engineer
Are you itching to unleash your skills and drive on a tech team that's working to digitally transform a trillion-dollar industry? From test-driving the latest cloud technologies to creating intuitive consumer apps, Liberty Mutual Technology Group is constantly innovating and creating industry-leading solutions that provide peace of mind for our customers worldwide. As a senior software engineer at Liberty Mutual, you'll apply your talents in an agile environment at a Fortune 100 company that is consistently named a top 100 Best Places to Work in IT by IDG Insider Pro and Computerworld.
- Collaborative partner: Working within our GRM Services Tech team of engineers, scrum masters, and product owners you'll tackle technical challenges and ensure quality as we move to next-generation applications
- Comprehensive problem-solver: As you manage the end-to-end development of software products, you'll analyze issues at the system level and handle any complications that arise by implementing effective solutions
- Skilled technical engineer: You'll document and lead the implementation of technical features, improvements, and innovations
- Forward thinker: Simply fixing the problem isn't enough; using your proactive mindset and initiative, you'll continually look for ways to improve performance, quality and efficiency during our team's innovation time
In this role you would:
- Develop and maintain scalable, effective, defect-free source code that meets business requirements and team standards.
- Leverage Agile/Scrum techniques to convert user needs into working applications that satisfy customer requirements
- Interact with customers and development team to gather and define requirements.
- Work within project team (Engineers, Product Owners, Scrum Masters, etc.) on iterative development that delivers a high-quality product.
- Craft and analyze user stories for validity and feasibility.
- Provide functional/system integration testing support; Develop system/application architecture; Develop production support documentation.
- Plan work out appropriately, proactively escalates issues that may impact scope, schedule, budget.
- Understand and leverage the existing CI/CD pipeline.
- Mentor new Engineers and junior Engineers.
- Identify and recommend appropriate continuous improvement opportunities.
Desired development skills:
- Familiarity and drive to learn serverless technologies (AWS, MS Azure)
- Familiarity with event-based System of Engagement Architectures
- Demonstrates active pursuit of optimizing CI/CD process and tools, testing frameworks and practices (preferably GitHub, Jenkins/Bamboo, Mocha/Karma, etc.)
- Familiarity with test-and-learn approaches using web and customer analytics data, understanding how these drive hypotheses-based development
- Proven track record of problem-solving skills
- An understanding of essential security and privacy concerns for customer-facing fintech applications
- Ideally familiar with Design Thinking, Behavior and Test-Driven Development
- Strong leadership, communication, and collaboration skills with track record of taking solution ownership
- Experience working collaboratively in an Agile environment (Scrum, Lean Startup, XP) on a cross-functional team (Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Developers, and Designers)
- Bachelors or master's degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of professional experience
We believe you should happy both at work and in life. That's why we offer:
- Hackathon Events
- Workplace Flexibility
- Wellness Perks
- Career development programs and classes
- Diversity Equity & Inclusion programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Adoption Assistance
- College Savings Plan
- Education reimbursement