Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryUnder broad oversight, responsible for profitability, growth, and retention of business within an assigned territory/territories that is consistent with overall business unit objectives. Responsible for managing a group of Account Executives, in a location(s). Responsibilities typically include: Overseeing the underwriting of new and renewal business for a territory/location(s). Working with RVP, implements business strategies to effectively achieve profit and growth objectives for assigned territory/location(s). Manages a team of Account Executives, and possibly, Managing Account Executive(s). Has the overall responsibility for all aspects of their territory. Implements strategies aligned with business unit objectives that grow and retain a profitable book of business. Staff management functions include, but are not limited to, coaching, training, planning and performance management in a supportive, team oriented, collaborative manner. The incumbent in this job is a manager.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Underwriting and Pricing:
- Participates in the development of strategic business plans that are designed to increase the business units presence in the market, retain the appropriate mix of business and achieve business objectives.
- Implements business strategies to effectively achieve business objectives for assigned locations.
- Distribution and Agency Management:
- Effectively manages local strategies, objectives and tactics concerning relationships with brokers and agencies.
- Practices and promotes behaviors inherent to a successful consultative marketing/ sales culture.
- Negotiates the most complex, at risk, or hard to close deals as needed.
- Identifies creative solutions to complex issues that satisfy all parties.
- Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- Demonstrates leadership by providing strategic direction and support to staff.
- Drives efforts to achieve quality results and promotes a spirit of always doing the right thing on behalf of the enterprise and the business.
- Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Effectively drives a collaborative business approach and fosters enterprise wide solutions to local business issues.
- Encourages others to seek solutions to business problems that optimize the results and performance across the Enterprise.
- Leading Others:
- In addition to leading self, effectively manages all facets of staff performance in to achieve business objectives.
- Proactively recruits for talent and acquires high caliber people with a diversity of skills and backgrounds.
- Manages performance and provides honest, constructive feedback.
- Provides tangible rewards for significant achievements. Clearly differentiates rewards for top performers.
- Delegates authority, responsibility and accountability to produce results and motivate and develop others.
- Identifies and removes barriers to effective interactions across the business unit.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 6 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Typically has 8-10 years of relevant Account Executive experience.
- Previous commercial accounts underwriting experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Prior management of a field location preferred.
- Industry/Business Knowledge:
- Exhibits a thorough understanding of global insurance trends, industry/ customer based trends and enterprise wide business and financial drivers that affect the region and local office.
- Effectively applies this knowledge to manage local business goals and objectives.
- Product Knowledge:
- Manages to organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures; also provides feedback to higher levels of management when changes are needed.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of enterprise wide products and services.
Licensing or Certificates
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal transportation.
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Business Perspective: Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make decisions.
- Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen: Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize profitability.
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- People Management:
- Effectively manages all facets of staff performance in order to achieve business objective.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.