Senior to Principal Infrastructure Engineer
We deliver our customers peace of mind every day by helping them protect what they value most. Our passion for placing the customer at the center of everything we do is driving a transformational shift at Liberty Mutual. Operating as a tech startup within a Fortune 100 company, we are leading a digital disruption that will redefine how people experience insurance.
The Application Environments organization in Global Digital Services is seeking an experienced Principle Infrastructure Engineer for the VMWare team. Our internal cloud environment is primarily running on VMWare. The candidate will have a proven history of work with VMWare products such as VXRail, VMC, Tanzu/Kubernetes. Technologies such as VMC will require knowledge of AWS and Azure.
The ideal candidate will have a breadth of expertise in Kubernetes, modern CI/CD pipeline, and platform automation and infrastructure development supporting these technologies.
This is a range posting and the description is posted as a Grade 17, Principal Infrastructure Engineer. However, candidates will be considered for Grade 16 and Grade 17 roles in the Infrastructure job family. The actual internal level/grade for this role will depend on the candidate's overall experience and skill level.
- Develops efficient, maintainable, defect-free source code that meets operational, security and business requirements while adhering to team standards.
- Develops platform and operational scripts
- Contributes to or leads researching technical alternatives, new technologies, and open-source technology
- Participates in medium-level design activities by analyzing requirements and high-level designs
- Participates in the production of support documentation
- Provides functional/system integration testing support.
- Performs Quality Assurance coding review; defects or discrepancies in requirements identified and resolved with appropriate partners.
- Collaborates on troubleshooting production issues and performing root cause analysis
- Identify improvement opportunities. (Performance tuning, improvement, balancing, usability, automation)
- Bachelor's degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience.
- Experience with virtualization, Kubernetes, networking, storage and related infrastructure.
- General knowledge business function(s) and business operations, as well as IT strategies, and methodologies, including understanding of agile software development concepts and processes.
- General knowledge of layered systems architectures and understanding of shared software concepts, cloud-based platforms, and development tools.
- Knowledge of cloud platforms and technologies and the ability to apply these to the design, development, implementation, and management of computing applications, infrastructure, and products.
- Knowledge of methods and ability to grasp new concepts, acquire new ways of seeing things, and revise ways of thinking and behaving, with the understanding that this is an ongoing business necessity
- Understanding of backlog tracking, burndown metrics, and incremental delivery.
- Understands and has experience with DevOps or SRE practices.
- Negotiation skills; oral and written communication skills.
- Must be proactive, demonstrate initiative and be a logical thinker.
- Consultative skills, including the ability to understand and assist in applying customer requirements, including drawing out unforeseen implications and making recommendations for design, the ability to define design reasoning, understanding potential impacts of design requirements.
- 7+ years of professional VMWare experience.
- 1-3 years of professional Kubernetes experience.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and communication and collaboration skills.
- Extensive knowledge of agile, product, software development concepts and processes.
- Knowledge of mentoring concepts and techniques, and ability to effectively participate in a mentoring relationship.
- Understanding of the value of innovation and ability to develop new ideas and initiatives that improve the performance of the organization
- Develop clear, thorough functional design specifications for the VMware Platform
- Experience in vROPs, SRM, HCX, Loginsight
- Experience in Dell/EMC VxRail and HPE Synergy
- Lifecycle management of the infrastructure systems to keep them up to date on security patches and operating system-based patches from various vendors.
Additional Information and Competitive Skills:
- Familiarity with and experience using Kubernetes as an API for infrastructure management.
- Experience in ransomware / security threats
- VMWare Tanzu products, VMC on VMware, VMC on Dell or any cloud-based infrastructure
- Comfortable working in large scale environments utilizing automation
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.