Cloud Data Architect - Investments Tech
Liberty Mutual Investments manages Liberty Mutual Insurance Group's global financial assets across global and private domains, to create capital and generate income. With over $80 billion in AUM and staffed with 270+ investment, finance and operations professionals located in Boston, MA., Liberty Mutual Investments offers the best of both worlds; the look and feel of a boutique investment firm, and the reputation and financial strength of a Fortune 100 company..
Liberty Mutual Investments Technology (LMI Tech) is actively searching for a Cloud Data Architect to work with the data-centric product teams to design data components of overall data platform to support business segments across the full investments value chain. We are looking for someone who enjoys working in a highly collaborative environment, fast, result oriented, agile, value fast delivery and quality, with a strong desire to drive change as we continue our agile transformational journey.
In this position, you will be responsible for driving aspects of the LMI Tech Data and Cloud Strategy, best practices, standards, as well as developing and validating the architecture and solution design aligned to critical business capabilities. You will play a go-to lead role and act as the technical Product Owner for data management, data governance, metadata management, data manufacturing, ETL, new innovations, and more. You will provide technical expertise, guide, and mentor development teams on methodologies, processes and best practices on cloud data architectures, event-driven architecture, API-enabled data services, and data conversions.
About the role:
- Leads technical teams and has a leadership responsibility for data architecture and data technical design for one or more databases or systems.
- Recommends emerging technological solutions to increase market share and reduce operational costs.
- Will work on various database technologies and be expected to provide frameworks and code in various technologies including Snowflake, SnapLogic, S3 and others.
- Reviews and ensures architectural designs are consistent, maintainable, flexible, and cost effective.
- Help with data modeling and physical design, data pipeline design, identifier management practices
- Reviews and ensures data security standards are implemented including role-based security, encryption, tokenization, and obfuscation.
- Works with application teams to identify functional requirements that drive technology that enables business functionality.
- Develops SQL, views, DDL, and scripts to deliver database components as required.
- Designs and maintains database structures including tables, views, synonyms, sequences, triggers, procedures, functions, indexes, materialized views, partitioning strategies, and compression.
- Helps develop architectural strategies and direction which allows the business to deliver new functionality.
- Develops the data architecture and governance models for systems of engagement and provides the framework for integrating source systems with the transactional databases or data warehouses.
- Provides the framework for defining the data model of the operational database or data warehouse
- Provides strategic guidance to development teams for data movement strategies, data obfuscation (data masking), record retention strategy (Deletion and Archival), data infrastructure/security, the operational data store (ODS) and the operational reporting strategy.
- Analyzes highly complex systems, technical and product issues and helps develop solutions and drive systems direction. Develops and documents technology roadmaps.
- Analyzes data to validate data issues or provide bulk data defect fixes.
- Makes recommendations to improve process efficiency and effectiveness for core and utility services.
- Conducts SQL reviews, performance profiling and performance tuning recommendations.
- Analyzes the technology industry and market trends to determine potential impact on the business.
- Bachelor's degree in CS or technical field, statistics, or mathematics
- 10+ years of data and/or architecture experience in applications and/or data warehousing development in a complex, multi-platform distributed environment.
- Experience in designing, developing, and deploying cloud-based solutions which leverage cloud provided platforms.
- Experience in data warehousing concepts and techniques.
- Experience in Master Data Management (MDM) concept, tools, and best practices.
- Strong technical skills and experience with Snowflake or other MPP technology, partitioning, compression, HA/DR, materialized views, indexing strategies, performance tuning, SQL, data analysis and data modeling (ERwin or similar), ETL (e.g., Informatica PowerCenter, Talend, SSIS), statistical libraries (python).
- Experience in agile methodology and CI/CD principles.
- Extensive, real-world experience, in designing enterprise solutions.
- Extensive experience in layered solutions and designs, diverse technical configurations, across multiple technologies and processing environments.
- In-depth knowledge in software engineering languages and tools; proficient in new and emerging technologies.
- Extensive knowledge of all product and system components of technical architecture.
- In-depth understanding of business operations, objectives and strategies including but not limited to, insurance industry, financial services, global business, architecture, technology trends, as well as security minded.
- Knowledgeable in software engineering languages and tools; proficient new and emerging technologies.
- Strong leadership skills; coaching and mentoring skills.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills - including negotiation, facilitation, and consensus building skills; ability to influence and persuade, without direct control.
- High degree of flexibility and ability to work with employees at all levels of the organization with diverse backgrounds.
- Strong desire to drive change, and ability to adapt to change quickly.
- Strong consulting skills (relevant/technical); recognized as a thought leader within the company.
- Ability to balance the long-term "big picture" and short term implications of decisions.
- Experience with or working knowledge of:
- Snowflake, Postgres, SQL Server
- Expert Level data modeling
- Expert Level Power BI (or Cube design)
- Solid understanding of DB internals and different data architecture and technologies
- NoSQL data technologies
- Data Catalog
- Modern ETL Expertise
- Data Quality
- Cloud Engineering
- Experience in defining, and evangelizing, the use of reference architectures and repeatable implementation patterns
- Strong understanding of database security and approaches such as secure development practices and code-level application security (e.g., identity and encryption).
- Strong understanding of Open Source technologies
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.