Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryFinance Lead: Loss Sensitive, Oil & Gas, Environmental, and Global Renewable Energy
Under Broad Oversight, responsible for developing and overseeing financial reporting, control and analysis for assigned business or function. Position does manage others. Broad Oversight: Receives guidance in terms of broad goals and overall objectives and establishes the methods to attain them. Generally the incumbent is in charge of an area of work and typically formulates policy for this area, but may have final authority for approving policy.
Broader Key Responsibility Areas:
1. Execution of Finance Objectives and Strategies
2. Leadership Engagement, BU Support & Financial Partnership
3. Financial Planning and Forecasting
4. Talent Development and Staff Management
5. Inclusive Leadership
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide leadership to business area, setting work objectives and goals for employees, managing performance and making hiring and compensation decisions.
- Oversee, synthesize and present exhibits, results, observations, recommendations to business partners and senior management, including formal presentations.
- Design, prepare, evaluate and validate more complex internal and/or external financial and operational reports, both routine and ad-hoc, to support tactical and strategic business objectives.
- In addition, review and approve less complex reports and analyses prepared by others.
- Maintain general understanding of data sources and implications to reporting environment.
- Consult with business partners to recommend, develop and create overall financial plan in conjunction with business plan and forecast for the organization (annual, ongoing and long term).
- Consult with business partners to support and drive overall strategic plan. Responsibilities may include (understanding impact of competitor, market, industry landscape, internal cost benefit analysis of investments.
- Perform, review and approve analysis and interpretation of trends and variances in business performance, interacting with senior business partners. Identify analysis requirements in light of business objectives.
- With broader organization perspective, apply most complex accounting and financial concepts and controls to provide subject matter expertise and consultation on the development, implementation or enhancement of financial, operations and business applications.
- Use/assign others the appropriate tools to obtain, compile and analyze complex data necessary to support robust financial reports and analysis. Strategically review financial platforms and tools and make recommendations to management. on potential enhancements and changes.
- Establish and maintain an awareness of the importance of a sound financial control environment.
- Support supplier management, partnering with business partners in assessing risk, determining pricing, reviewing contracts, and monitoring results.
- Responsible for oversight of all financial activities for various lines of business including journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 6 years of related experience.
- Minimum 3 years of management experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting preferred.
- Typically 8+ years of related experience.
- Thorough knowledge of Financial Analysis concepts, principles, processes and applications across all Financial Analysis functions.
- Thorough Knowledge: Possesses advanced knowledge of subject matter in order to solve unusual as well as common work problems.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Advanced knowledge of the insurance business.
- Advanced analytic skills.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting practices and principles.
- Advanced data utilization skills to access and gather data, including a basic understanding of what the data represents.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced time management/ prioritization skills.
- Advanced ability to solve problems and suggest solutions.
- Advanced problem solving and decision making skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Advanced influencing of business partners
- Intermediate business perspective including an understanding of the political nature of the organization
- Intermediate strategic planning capabilities
- Intermediate leadership skills, including delegation, employee development, hiring and retaining talent.
- Advanced project management skills.
- Intermediate ability to think strategically.
- Identifies customers needs and takes appropriate action to meet those needs.
- Ability to work well in tight timeframes and deadlines.
- Advanced ability to present material concisely.
- Advanced Leadership Skills, including ability to:
- Leverage Differences
- Manage in participative manner.
- Develop employees
- Manage change effectively
- Inspire others and promote a vision
- Understand and navigate organization.
- Align resources to accomplish key objectives.
- Establishes strong coalitions and networks both within and outside of the division.
- Promotes productive working relationships with other departments within the company.
- Advanced skill/competency level: demonstrates advanced knowledge and ability; can apply the competency in new or complex situations.
- May guide other professionals.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.