Scrum Master I/Scrum Master II
Scrum Master I / Scrum Master II - Data & Analytics Engineering - Platform Engineering
- This position is a member of an Agile team and is responsible for enabling the team to be more effective applying the relevant Lean-Agile approach (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.) and cultivates an environment that supports Agility.
- Understands how to evolve/improve/expand team practices to fit the specific needs of the teams and organization.
- Coaches, mentors and teaches team members, managers and key stakeholders; proactively seeks to eliminate or minimize impact of barriers, and addresses challenges to team delivery.
- Able to identify and effectively apply which stance (coach, mentor, teach) would benefit the team the most depending upon the situation/circumstances present.
- Works closely with Product Owners and other SM`s to support release planning, backlog and team health, and cross-team communication.
- Fosters team decision-making, transparency and independence, encourages cross-training and team support.
*This is a range posting; the hiring manager is open to a scrum master I / scrum master II.
- Uses a pragmatic approach to guide the team by seeking to understand what they want to achieve and helping them become more effective in an Agile context.
- Comfortable experimenting with a variety of approaches based on need & fit. Promotes the use of/experimentation with quality/engineering practices (BDD, TDD, Pairing, CI/CD, etc.).
- Effective facilitation skills at the team level; Remains neutral, applies conflict management & establishes trust.
- Is comfortable having difficult conversations and actively coaches others on improving facilitation skills.
- Possesses advanced understanding of Lean-Agile metrics (health, value, flow and quality) to help teams continually improve.
- Assesses the Agile/Scrum maturity of the team & coaches the team to higher levels of maturity. Coaches team & managers on the Agile mindset/behavior.
- Deep understanding of the mechanics of the Agile framework or method and the ability to teach the specific roles, work products, and activities to team members and stakeholders. Increases team knowledge of Agile/Lean topics helping them understand why practices work not just how.
- Observes & provides consistent, impactful feedback for team Agile development.
- Understands the impact and supports the vision for change within their organization.
- Bachelor`s degree in a relevant field (business, computer science, humanities, etc.) and at least 5 years related experience.
- Beginner/1st level Scrum certification preferred, not required.
- Knowledge/training equivalent to advanced/2nd level certifications from a reputable Lean-Agile organization a plus but not required (PSM II, ICAgile Professional Agile Team Facilitation (ICP-ATF), ICAgile Professional Agile Coaching (ICP-ACC)).
- Experience being on multiple Agile teams in a variety of different contexts.
- Scrum certification strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a scaled agile framework preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of business functions and extensive understanding of business operations, strategies and objectives.
- Track record of continued and recent education in Lean-Agile including training, conferences, user groups, cohorts, self-study, etc.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.