ICW Group is hiring for a Branch Manager to lead and oversee the Workers' Compensation Underwriting Branch operations, coordination, and evaluation for our Southeast Region. This position will ensure that practices comport with relevant compliance regulations and with company fiscal policy so that underwriting activities are completed expeditiously, efficiently and cost effectively. This position exists to ensure that the branch and company objectives are met.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Plans for and monitors the profitability of branch to achieve and exceed Line of Business goals.
- Oversees the underwriting of all workers' compensation accounts in branch according to guidelines established by Home Office.
- Accepts or rejects simple to moderately complex risks, evaluating all risks' characteristics (operations, financials, management, employees, prior experience, etc) as compared to the average in its class and price for profit within Company underwriting guidelines.
- Oversees and regulates the flow of business within department while monitoring underwriting quality, desk management and communication skills of your staff.
- Appoints and terminates agents per approved plan and monitors their performance to include hit ratio, production and profitability.
- Prepares data and reports as necessary to communicate information to all constituencies including Home Office.
Manages the operations of the WCU branch.
- Manages administrative and auxiliary HR tasks in accordance with Company policies and practices.
- Collaborates with other branch-based department leaders and personnel to ensure the branch operates in a unified and productive manner.
- Creates a sales culture in the branch to consistently deliver on brand and product value proposition.
- Manages staff to attract, develop, retain, and motivate team members who deliver results.
- Achieves a positive work climate, aligned with corporate programs that meet or exceed LOB goals.
- Maintains work environment that is productive, safe, and compliant with all Company policies and legal requirements.
Keeps abreast of industry developments, legal requirements and other external impacts to business operations.
- Keeps alert to WCIRB/NCCI rulings, forms and coverage changes.
- Keeps alert to industry changes (competition, rating plans, credit and pricing trends, etc.).
- Continues to educate self on aspects of the business, leadership, sales, or other topics and provides education to team members for their development.
- Serves as a member of the WCU Leadership Team.
- Provides input and expertise to Line of Business initiatives; leads initiatives as required. Collaborates with colleagues on Line of Business initiatives.
- Completes all company related assignments as directed by H.O. Underwriting Officer.
Develops and leads a team of Branch WCU professionals.
- Provides strategic and tactical direction to the Branch Underwriting team. Communicates Mission, Values, and other organization operating principles to direct and indirect reports.
- Establishes and maintains the overall work cadence and, in partnership with LOB Leadership, ensures performance and outcomes strive for excellence in delivery and customer experience. Ensures that the entire assigned team is engaged and that leadership practices for the department encourage development, recognition, and retention.
- Establishes and holds team accountable to and adheres to hiring criteria, on-boarding, and training requirements for incoming staff.
- Oversees the performance management and development process for team members and performs performance management duties, development planning and coaching for direct reports.
- Acts as a resource for team members to answer questions and solve complex problems.
- Manages technology and other resources, workload, and customer request for operational resources. Ensures leaders effectively discharge all Company policies and procedures and compliance responsibilities.
- Ensures data quality, adherence to LOB guidelines, profitability and other risk-related metrics for self and members of the team.
- Directly supervises one or more employees within the Workers' Compensation underwriting branch and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company policies and applicable laws.
- These responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; conducting performance and salary reviews; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; coaching, mentoring, and developing team members to further their skills and knowledge; creating and monitoring development plans; setting performance expectations/goals; forecasting staffing needs and planning for peak times and absences; enforcing department policies and procedures.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE ROLE:
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university required with a major or emphasis in Business, Accounting, Economics, Management, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 5 – 7 years of related experience in Workers' Compensation Underwriting operations required.
- Minimum 1 – 2 years of supervisory experience and/or training required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Working knowledge of Workers' Compensation underwriting operations.
- Familiarity with sales or training preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.