Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryUnder General Supervision, performs professional accounting work to ensure current, accurate and complete financial information. Examples include; Production of reports to assist in the payment of local and foreign insurance taxes. Develops, reviews and creates complex analysis and reports. This role has no direct reports.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Review and approve complex financial activities for various lines of business including journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Conduct a detailed review for accuracy and completeness and approve internal management based financial reporting, both routine and ad hoc for complete and consistent results with corporate policies and standards.
- Preparation, submission and payment of foreign and local insurance taxes
- Preparation, submission, account reconciliation and payment of insurance levies and smaller regulatory returns
- Assist with corporation tax compliance
- Identify and maximize tools to obtain data necessary to support financial analysis and create financial transactions.
- Develop and maintain management information and control systems including TM1, Business Objects, Essbase.
- Prepare more complex documentation and review more complex documentation to support Internal and External Audits .
- Participate in projects that involve complex analysis and implementation of non-complex, routine business and financial regulatory changes relating to financial reporting. For example, business reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, new accounting standards, etc.
- Maintain compliance with various financial external regulatory requirements and internal accounting policies.
- Apply basic accounting and financial concepts and controls to support the development, implementation or enhancement to financial systems and processes.(SME) for non-complex issues.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with internal management, Underwriters and both internal and external auditors.
- Assist in maintaining an appropriate internal control environment particularly with regard to Sarbanes Oxley.
- A recognized accounting qualification is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Experience in a finance function of an insurance operation.
- General knowledge of accounting theory and practice.
- Working knowledge of Insurance annual account concepts / terminology.
Licensing or Certificates
- Ideally ACA , ACCA, or CIMA qualified.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Thorough knowledge of Excel, with comfort around manipulating and building complex spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of Peoplesoft or TM1 would be an advantage.
- Demonstrates ability to enhance processes and create new processes to improve efficiency / meet new requirements.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with internal management and auditors.
- Controls and deadline focused Intermediate project management and time management skills.
- Demonstrated intermediate communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently/as part of a team and to interact effectively with others across organization.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.