Workers' Compensation Attorney
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Note: Compensation based on geographic location of candidate.
We have an exciting opportunity for a remote Workers' Compensation Attorney. You will be handling a caseload of workers' compensation matters, conduct depositions, and represent Liberty Mutual and its policyholders at WC hearings in the state of New York. You will also interact with Liberty Mutual's Workers' Compensation claims organization.
This is a great opportunity to manage your own caseload of NY workers compensation cases both regular and complex and make virtual appearances before the NYS WCB while working for a major insurance company with a great working environment, annual performance bonuses, and a great benefits package.
- Use Litigation Protocols to develop and revise appropriate legal strategy for discovery, investigation, handling and trial/hearing of cases or matters
- Responsible for appearances before the Workers Compensation Board, conducting depositions, drafting and filing summations, appeals and rebuttals.
- Research the law applicable to cases or matters; drafts legal documents, pleadings, motions, briefs and opinions as required. If requested, conduct settlement negotiations.
- Advise, communicate and confer with Claims Representatives and Insured Clients, rendering clear, unambiguous legal opinions and advice. Personally meet with and maintain good relations and communications with Claims Representatives and Insured Clients as required.
- Remain current with developments in the law; understand medical, scientific, construction, products, engineering or similar issues and defenses involved with cases or matters.
- Prepare and conduct training sessions for Legal, Claims or other departments as required.
- Understand and creatively use technology; apply technology to the process of law to improve quality and reduce cost.
- Interface with Home Office Legal department.
What you've got:
- Membership in the New York State Bar
- Appropriate special licenses to practice before boards or federal courts preferred
- A minimum of one-year experience as an attorney; Workers' Compensation experience strongly preferred.
- Talent for cultivating strong working relationships with internal and external partners
- Aptitude for detailed, analytical thinking
- Process-oriented mindset, with proven ability to meet deadlines and stay organized
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with the latest developments in the practice of law, as well as pertinent knowledge in related fields
- Familiarity with insurance law a plus
- Proficiency with technologies that reduce costs and facilitate the practice of law and remote work
- A JD degree