Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThe Bond and Specialty Insurance division of Travelers is seeking to add a new member to our Financial Institutions in an Underwriting Development Program role. This is an opportunity to join a dedicated collaborative team of underwriters in a highly visible and challenging role. Our Underwriting Professional Development Program (UPDP) provides participants the opportunity to build a unique and successful career within a highly specialized niche of the insurance industry.
Lawsuits, cyber-attacks, and extortion can impact a company's financial performance and reputation. The Financial Institutions business unit provides financial protection to directors and officers of community banks, credit unions, insurance companies, investment advisors and large depository and non-depository institutions for these exposures and many more. Products include Directors and Officers Liability, Employment Practices Liability, CyberRisk, Kidnap and Ransom, Crime, Fiduciary Liability, and Errors and Omission Liability. Underwriters in this segment specialize in a variety of financial service sectors and actively participate in industry associations.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Our comprehensive program consists of a blend of mentorship, classroom instruction, and on-the-job training leading to increasing responsibility and accountability.
- The UPDP prepares you for a career in underwriting, which is a dynamic blend of the following:
- Financial analysis/risk assessment: gather and analyze pertinent information in order to evaluate the acceptability of business risk
- Marketing: build and maintain relationships with agents, brokers, and insured clients to help achieve business goals
- New business development and retention: sell to, negotiate with, and influence agents and brokers to manage a profitable book of business
- Bachelor degree or one year of relevant business experience required.
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Entry level position.
- Gain overall understanding of all Bond and Specialty Insurance Business Units and Travelers businesses.
- Product Knowledge:
- Gain an understanding of Bond and Specialty Insurance workflow.
- Learn and develop Product knowledge.
- Learn documentation procedures/standards
Licensing or Certificates
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Ability to use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools proficiently.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result
- Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; does not assume a single best way.
- Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
- Provides good role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.