Liberty Mutual Global Retail Markets Actuarial is seeking a Manager, Actuary for the Loss Trend Analytics team. This individual will lead a team of 6 actuaries/actuarial students as they perform in-depth analyses to forecast loss trends across all lines of business, conduct deep dives into emerging loss trend risks, compile reports comparing GRM and industry trends, and summarize competitor trends commentary. This work is used to develop financial forecasts and influence decisions of senior management; the results are communicated to a broad group of stakeholders, including Claims, Actuarial and Product.
The successful candidate will have strong managerial skills (including experience with prioritization, capacity management, and coaching), good business judgment and influencing skills, analytical expertise, have the ability to explain the work of others in business contexts, and be capable of driving consistency across the team. Good communication skills are essential as there will be interaction with other functional areas (e.g. Product, Claims, and Reserving).
- Oversee in-depth analyses to explain historical frequency and severity and forecast future loss trends, which are used for quarterly reforecast and essential for senior leaders as they develop GRM-wide strategies
- Work with Auto and Econ/Model loss trend analytics leads and stakeholders/partners to prioritize work at the individual contributor level
- Ensure consistent methods and assumptions are being used across all lines of business as part of loss trends deep dives and regularly recurring work
- Guide individual contributors in developing the loss trends storylines for Property, Workers' Compensation, General Liability, and Umbrella
- Manage regular reporting deliverables including competitor commentary and pure premium relativity
- Establish relationships and collaborate with cross-functional areas such as Product, Claims and Reserving to better prioritize work within the team and support the development of non-Auto trends
- Provide clear and concise communication of technical actuarial work to technical and non-technical audiences, cross-functionally, and to senior leadership
- Coach, develop, and motivate talent within the team
- Identify opportunities to create efficiencies within the team
- 5-7 years of progressively more responsible experience, including supervisory experience
- Fellowship in the Casualty Actuarial Society designation preferred
- Sound knowledge of actuarial techniques and standards, as well as other business operations including finance, product management, and claims
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships and interact effectively with others within and outside the department
- Ability to lead and get work done through others. Ability to coach & develop team members
- Demonstrated commitment to Liberty's Values, including a focus on continuous improvement and creating a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to grasp complex theoretical concepts
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.