Director, Engineering - Data Platforms - GRM Technology
Global Retail Markets (GRM) Technology is searching for a Director, Engineering Data Platforms. The East and West Regional Architecture and Applications team is focused on delivering global capabilities aligned with GRM East and West strategic business priorities. Global Applications engages with local country teams to develop regional and global solutions that enable quality results, faster delivery and lower costs for local operations.
The East and West Regional Architecture and Applications team works closely with partners across the GRM East and West Regions' business areas -- IT (Regional Data Centers, Security and Enterprise Architecture), Finance, Actuarial, HR, Product, Claims -- to meet the GRM East and West Region goals.
In this position, you will lead a team of IT professionals to build and support a portfolio of information management products for our global business applications used by agents and customers in our international business operations. This individual will help strategize and execute in partnership with Global Function IT Heads, Region IT Heads, Corporate IT leaders, and global partners for our international data platforms.
About the role:
- Develops and implements business and/or IT vision, critical success factors and operating plans for a global strategic roadmap for Data & Information business applications
- Sets direction based on alignment to business and overall technology standards.
- Hires and manages lower level managers and may hire and manage individual contributors; coaches and counsels team members, especially managers regarding management techniques. Determines and manages staffing strategy and plan (# of FTEs, skills needed, depth of experience, internal and external staffing mix) consistent with the needs of the department. Ensures decisions related to hiring, firing and promotions are executed.
- Defines individual performance objectives and development plans and ensures alignment with project and department objectives.
- Appraises and evaluates department and individual performance and makes compensation recommendations; oversees the appraisal process.
- Initiates and fosters business partnerships with current and potential clients, vendors, IT executives, and senior business executives; develops relationships that promote trust and increase efficiency and effectiveness; balances individual client needs with business priorities assuring alignment with the business strategies and objectives.
- Establishes financial plan for department and manages to plan; ensures project financial plans are met by managers in department. Jointly establishes financial targets with business partners.
- Oversees the development, implementation and execution of multiple projects ensuring scope and schedule are established for projects; oversees operating plan and resource allocation for the department, including prioritization and staff deployment; acts based on changed priorities.
- Formulates and executes process and organizational improvement direction and programs which enhance overall effectiveness; proactively seeks ways to improve human resource and other management processes. Understands business process, issues/problems and applies appropriate IT standards and solutions.
- Develops and maintains a network of industry contacts; performs or directs research on industry trends, competitors, business and IT products; analyzes trends and makes strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Ensures system, technical and product architectures are aligned with business objectives.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in technical or business discipline or related experience; Master's Degree preferred.
- Generally more than 10 years related experience with 5 years in leadership role.
- In-depth knowledge of IT concepts, strategies and methodologies and their application to business opportunities.
- In-depth knowledge of business operations, objectives and strategies.
- In-depth knowledge of project planning methodologies and tools and IT standards and guidelines.
- Advanced knowledge of management concepts, practices and techniques.
- Ability to promote a team environment consisting of several teams.
- Highly developed negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills; strong presentation skills.
- Significant work experience in the following disciplines: data analysis, data migration tools, data modeling, data integration, and database design.
- Extensive experience with relational and non-relational (NoSQL) DBMS (e.g., Oracle, SQL Server, Hadoop), cloud and other emerging technical solutions in enterprise information management.
- Demonstrated team management experience with cross-functional team leadership across a global matrix environment including business and IT leaders and relevant vendors.
- Strong leadership experience managing development teams to build out products that support e-commerce or similar commercial transactions.
- Experience in the insurance industry
- Experience with global insurance operations in APAC, EMEA, and LATAM
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.