To perform a wide range of computer programming, systems analysis, and design functions of a moderate to complex nature on a range of platforms.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform various programming tasks including selection of programming methods; writing or revising programs; querying and updating databases, testing, documenting, implementing, debugging, and setting up programs for on‑going use.
- Design, improve and/or maintain the integrations between connected systems for company users, working in conjunction with outside systems consultants, as needed.
- Confer with business analysts, technical leads, quality assurance testers, and business users to research and define requests and problems, analyze needs, review overall program/systems designs and report formats while under development, train in systems/program use and provide various types of technical assistance and information related to both software and hardware.
- Confer regularly with other Information Technology staff to plan, coordinate and evaluate activities/projects/systems, exchange information, investigate and resolve problems.
- Assist with trouble‑shooting a wide variety of technical problems that may occur, and other daily computer operations tasks as needed.
- Keep up-to-date on relevant trends and technological developments in the insurance industry and inform other team members.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or assigned.
Minimal supervision is received from the Project Managers, Enterprise Architect and other senior IT staff members.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or other appropriate discipline, plus 2 to 5 years of relevant technical experience, including some systems analysis and design work, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Technical knowledge and skills in a number of areas related to programming, systems analysis/design and computer operations. Advanced programming skills directly relevant to company systems desirable.
- Experience working in P&C insurance environment desired.
- Working knowledge of XML, Web Services, SQL desired.
- Experience in Smart Communications or other customer communication platforms is desired.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong research skills as well as excellent analytical/problem solving skills.
- Self-starter, able to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of company users, including senior management, as well as outside vendors and consultants.
- Ability to train and/or mentor as well as oversee specific project work of others.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Predominately sedentary office position with high frequency of keyboarding/computer work required.
- Off hour and weekend work may be required.
- The physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- The work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.