Underwriting Consultant, Cargo
A little about us
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Advance your career Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company
For an assigned territory of the largest and most complex Marine Cargo and Project Cargo risks, with retail and wholesale brokers, analyzes the exposures, requested coverages, loss history, pricing targets and desired program structure to select business and determine appropriate terms and conditions. Independently produces and manages own profitable book of business and manages producer/customer relationships. Maintains the highest level of skills/knowledge in the Marine industry segment. Shares underwriting expertise with underwriters at all levels.
- Responsible for underwriting Marine Cargo and Project Cargo within the appetite developed by our team.
- Independently works to appropriately select risks, evaluate, and recommend program structure, services and pricing to achieve a balanced portfolio and long-term profitability.
- Establishes and maintain business relationships to develop new opportunities as well as visits insured and brokers/ producers to retain existing accounts in support of the producer and territory management plan.
- Independently reviews engineering information to assess risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and initiates appropriate loss prevention actions.
- Evaluates reinsurance requirements and implements appropriate action.
- Communicates and collaborates across disciplines to establish and maintain relationships to achieve organizational and policyholder success.
- Actively continues to improve personal knowledge and practices of the insurance industry through work experience, in-house instruction, insurance specific designations (e.g. CPCU), industry courses, home office seminars and workshops, etc.
- Leads the development and coaching of less experienced underwriters, shares knowledge of industry specific specialty with underwriters of all levels and is seen as a technical underwriting resource.
- Responsible and accountable for being a contributor to the continued improvement of the team which includes transparent and direct communication with teammates and a focus on the happiness and well-being of your teammates as we work together to build the most responsive team in the Marine insurance industry.
Advanced-level knowledge of insurance products/coverage, market segments and marketplace; insurance finance and actuarial concepts; loss control/risk engineering; marketing/selling techniques, regulatory environment and reinsurance; advanced-level knowledge of underwriting, pricing, risk selection, territory management. Ability to apply underwriting/appetite, tools, systems, and resources to achieve goals, solve complex problems, establish and build healthy working relationships, lead mentoring relationships, and negotiate, as normally acquired and a related bachelor's degree eight to ten years of commercial lines underwriting experience preferred; CPCU or professional insurance designation preferred.