Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThis position is responsible for reviewing outside counsel's invoices for compliance with Travelers' Retention and Billing Policies, best practices and claim-specific instructions and ensure charges are otherwise reasonable. Collaborates with Travelers colleagues managing claims or matters and interacts with outside counsel regarding changes to their bills.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Reviews and determines accuracy of law firm invoices ensuring compliance with Travelers' billing policies and department specific direction and are otherwise reasonable.
- Develops and maintains extensive knowledge related to determining the likely legal necessity for specific insurance defense related law firm work.
- Makes quick, sound decisions and negotiate resolution of billing issues or disputes.
- Utilizes claim file and document review to obtain claim strategy information and apply during review process.
- Ensures prompt, accurate and efficient auditing of submitted legal fee and expense invoices and amends as appropriate.
- Fiduciary responsibility for timely payments of matters of complex authority up to a million dollars.
- Engages in written and/or verbal communications with law firms and/or the Travelers employees managing the matter serving as the technical resource for appeal oversight and/or discretionary reviews.
- Provides detailed reports to Claims to support resolution of these settlements and participates in negotiations as needed.
- Collaborates with various claims departments for more effective litigated cost control.
- Serves as a technical resource to other claim professionals and various stakeholders, providing consultation and training regarding legal bill review and related best practices where appropriate.
- Drives and influences cultural compliance with partnering law firms based on Travelers retention and billing policies and philosophy through building a trusted and strategic business partnership.
- Provides suggestions and may participate in developing and directing the strategies and business plans of the LRM group and various business partners. Assists and provides input to identify new improvement or innovative opportunities and aids in the understanding, assessment and removal of barriers to success.
- A minimum of 5 years experience working with litigation and legal billing practices, civil court rules and procedures and the state and federal court systems
- Or 8 Years of handling complex claim litigation
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and analytical skills
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills
- Excellent negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Experience with one or more electronic billing technologies
- Experience at an insurance carrier reviewing/auditing outside counsel's legal bills
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Strong communication (written and verbal), influencing, negotiating, listening and interpersonal skills to effectively develop productive internal and external relationships.
- Builds and maintains working relationships with peers and other professionals across organizational lines.
- Leading Self:
- Presents a positive professional image. Exhibits courage, conviction and credibility. Acts decisively to tackle difficult problems. Demonstrates Self-Awareness a strong drive to achieve with a balance of humility.
- Planning and Organization:
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Advanced attention to detail ensuring accuracy.
- Problem Solving:
- Applies critical thinking and synthesizes information to identify key issues and make decisions. Effectively work through conflict and resolve issues with a professional demeanor.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.