Avail - Staff Data Engineer (Remote Home Based Worker)
Avail is a car sharing service to help people get where they want to gowhether thats to run errands, take an unforgettable road trip, or explore a new citywhile helping locals earn cash from their unused cars. We are passionate about making shared transportation safe, simple, and affordable, and redefining what it means to own a car.
Weve assembled some of the sharpest folks from across industries to compete against the antiquated system of traditional car rental. We put ideas into action and learn along the way in an open, collaborative work environment. As a part of Avail, youll make a direct impact and help build a business from the ground up. No matter where youve been, were always looking for fresh thinking and new perspectives.Summary
Seeking an experienced Staff Data Engineer to implement integrations with various data sources, set up a data warehouse, create scalable data pipelines for ETL and machine learning model training, and deploy machine learning models on production in a scalable way.Job Description
- Design and implement scalable data workflows and pipelines, and integrate diverse data sources and sinks
- Design appropriate complex database schemas and optimize database deployment architectures for analytics query loads
- Implement data transforms and organization for various data stores (data lakes and warehouses)
- Design and implement new platform architectures for building and serving computationally challenging machine learning models under tight response time requirements
- Provide tooling and automation for infrastructure, continuous testing, and continuous deploy of data systems
- Work with the platform operations team to monitor and maintain live production systems
Education and Experience
- 8 or more years of experience in software engineering or equivalent academic experience
- Advanced (Masters or PhD) degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or related technical discipline, or equivalent experience
- Significant prior experience in projects using elements of the current and future Avail tech stack: Redshift, Airflow, Python, PostgresQL, MongoDB, Kafka, EMR, Spark.
- Experience in creating both batch and real-time architectures for training machine learning models against large volumes of data (at least 1TB in each daily job) and deploying them to production servers at a global scale. Proven history of ability to implement inference services that respond at speed (within 20ms) and volume (thousands of requests per second).
- Deep (5+ years) experience in at least one systems programming language (Java, Scala, Rust, C, C++)
- Familiarity with theoretical foundations necessary for implementation of training and inference in machine learning models, such as cross validation, vector and matrix operations, statistical sampling and model representation.
- Advanced experience in Data Modelling and Data Warehousing and facilitating analytics workflows and functions
- Advanced experience in creating ETL pipelines in applications involving high volumes of data (e.g., in e-commerce, ad-tech, finance)
- Experience building secure and high-performance integrations for data ingestion from external data sources and APIs
- Advanced skills in software engineering disciplines and best practices
- High degree of familiarity with software development processes such as Scrum, CI/CD
- Experience in using Jenkins CI tools to create testing and deployment automation
- Experience in performing operations and automation of various data ecosystems in production environments on AWS
- Familiarity with functional programming languages and experience in defining data pipeline transformations using functional concepts
Compensation range for this position is $96,500 - $174,600 per year, based on experience and qualifications.
Thats the day to day, heres the bigger picture.
Avail was founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2018. But youll be working for (and at) Avail. Our work environment blends the ingenuity and flexibility of a startup with the scale and strengths of a Fortune 100 company. Perks include a generous PTO policy, flexible working options, and a focus on leadership, wellness, and culture. We also offer 401k, health insurance, and other employment benefits for your future.
See a job you love? We encourage you to apply, even if your experience isnt a perfect match.
We generally do not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click here for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click here for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the EEO is the Law poster click here. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click here. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Companys policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employees ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.