Technical Product Manager-Innovation
This position is a hybrid role (1-2 days/week in office) and is based in the Chicago area.
The Allstate Innovation team helps drive Allstates future by identifying compelling business opportunities, developing selected opportunities into thriving businesses, and assisting Allstate businesses with meeting their innovation objectives.Allstate Innovation brings together skills in strategy, design, technology, and marketing to create new products and businesses. Innovation Product Management roles deliver appropriate, actionable, and tangible strategies with the result of new, innovative avenues for growth that are grounded in business viability and market desirability, and they subsequently realize those strategies by executing them through all phases of the innovation lifecycle, including research, design, build, test, and go-to-market launch execution.Job Description
The Innovation Technical Product Manager, plays a crucial role in developing innovative new products and businesses in existing business and new growth areas for Allstate. This role blends skills in technology, design, and strategy to identify and develop new opportunities. The Innovation Technical Product Manager supports all phases of the product/business development cycle, from idea origination, pursuit (often through development and market testing of a Minimally Viable Product), and commercialization, which typically involves hand-off to another Allstate business or creation of an all-new business. The role requires creative problem solving, rigorous analysis, and collaboration with stakeholders across Allstate and external partners, and it often requires immersion in cutting-edge technologies and exposure to relevant startups.Key Responsibilites
- Evaluate technical and market trends to identify new areas of opportunity. Contribute to the innovation planning process and roadmaps through identification of relevant industry trends and new technologies.
- Shape technical solution design and strategy for new products by performing high quality research and data analysis in partnership with analytics teams and engineering teams.
- Understand the key technical / engineering problems of an innovation problem space.
- Engage with engineering experts and data analytics to identify creative technical solutions that solve consumer problems.
- Source potential third-party technical solutions, with an eye to how they could be incorporated into a large-scale enterprise.
- Assess capabilities and performance of third-party technology provider solutions.
- Interact with design and product owner teams to guide the feature roadmap and ensure alignment of product designs with technical capabilities.
- Lead internal and / or external software development teams in a hands-on technical role for rapid prototyping and new technology development, using agile methodologies.
- Interact with internal and external technical experts to develop solutions that meet customer needs.
- Write, manage, and approve user stories and technical stories as needed.
- Assist with sourcing third-party development firms, as needed, to support development.
- Work with vendor technology teams to integrate their technology into solutions.
- Identify requirements needed to scale from proofs of concept to large-scale, enterprise solutions.
- Build relationships across Allstate to enable effective implementation of projects.
- Support the creation and delivery of communication materials to drive executive decision-making. Influence leadership team decisions through clear communication and a professional, collaborative engagement style.
- Analyze and evaluate key initiative measures; recommend project changes and enhancements based on results.
- Collaborate effectively in cross-functional project teams, facilitating positive energy/engagement and helping elevate capabilities of others.
- Bachelors degree with a differentiated academic track record, preferably in an engineering, mathematics, computer science, or related technical field. Candidates with advanced degrees, including MBA, from leading institutions preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in product development, technology, or related areas; at least 2 years of technology development experience preferred.
- Experience in working on digital product development programs, ideally in Agile methodology.
- Broad familiarity with mobile system architectures, cloud-based infrastructure, database systems, vendor product integration, and emerging technology areas (e.g. Internet of Things, Big Data, Machine Learning).
- Top-tier generalist able to quickly get up to speed on unfamiliar subject areas.
- Strong problem solving and broad business acumen to tackle a wide range of issues in an integrated fashion.
- Interested in and conversant about technology.
- Ability to lead project teams day-to-day and collaborate productively with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Proven ability to influence through effective client-ready communication and presentation skills.
- Possess some knowledge of the insurance industry.
The world isn't standing still, and neither is Allstate. We're moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands, and taking bold steps to serve our customers' evolving needs better. That's why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you'll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You'll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good. Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life's uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 90years, we've thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever's coming next to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We are the Good Hands. We don't follow the trends. We set them.The Sales Professional opportunity is not an employment opportunity directly with Allstate Insurance Company, but employment as a staff with Allstate Exclusive Agents who are independent contractors. 2021 Allstate Insurance Co.