Donegal Insurance Group is a regional property-casualty insurance company doing business in 24 states, headquartered in Marietta, PA, with 5 regional offices located in Athens, GA, Le Mars, IA, Grand Rapids, MI, Albuquerque, NM and Glen Allen, VA.
Donegal offers a broad range of personal and commercial insurance products sold exclusively through our network of independent agents. We are committed to the independent agency system and proud of the company's heritage, which spans over 130 years. Donegal's strong financial foundation and successful operating strategies have earned the company a rating of 'A' (Excellent) by the A.M. Best Company, the nation's leading insurance rating organization.
The Payroll and HR Assistant will be responsible for performing tasks to establish and maintain employee/payroll records. Duties may include checking and auditing timekeeping records for compliance with established standards, entering new hires into the payroll system, posting changes in pay and tax status, and other miscellaneous changes. Additional administrative duties will be assigned as needed and the preferred candidate will have experience with ADP HRIS. This position is located at our office in Marietta, PA.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Process new hires, terms, and changes within HRIS system and Service Manager
- Using information system processes related to timekeeping and payroll, verifies time records for consistency and accuracy, clarifying inconsistencies with department supervisors/managers. Verifies that employee taxes are calculating correctly during payroll processing.
- Calculates retroactive pay, overtime, and other special adjustments and rates.
- Calculates benefits proration's and other deductions for or changed payroll data.
- Respond to requests pertaining to payroll matters with a focus on providing superior customer service.
- Prepare and maintain standard operating procedures and administer consistent payroll policies, practices, and controls.
- Assist with compliance reports & projects
- Handles incoming payroll mail and reviews unemployment compensation claims
- Process verifications of employment
- Assist Human Resource Manager with administrative duties as needed. Duties could include but are not limited to:
- Prepare and file employee paperwork
- Schedule WebEx meetings, interviews, or other meetings
- Assist with onboarding. Send emails to recent hires and follow up on incomplete items.
- Review and keep HR vendor list up to date. Review and/or update vendor contracts as needed
- Prepare new badges/ review employees in badge system
- Maintain job descriptions bank, make updates as needed
- Coordinate the schedule of new hire check-ins, email associates as needed
- Assist with record retention
- Review invoices to ensure accuracy
Qualifications and Skills
- High School diploma is required. An Associates or Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, or other related field preferred
- 1-3 years of payroll experience in a mid to large-size company preferred
- Knowledge of HRIS software required, ADP WorkforceNow experience strongly preferred
- Knowledge of payroll administration, controls, governance, and accounting best practices is required
- Excellent attention to detail, very accurate, inquisitive/investigative nature
- Possess strong analytical skills
- Possesses sound judgment
- Results oriented, capable of handling multiple tasks
- Ability to handle stress and work within rigid timelines
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to accurately complete assigned tasks on a timely basis
- Ability to maintain professionalism at all times
- Ability to learn and retain information relating to job functions
- PC skills to include:
- E-mail applications
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel
Donegal Insurance Group offers a comprehensive benefits package for all full-time, permanent positions. Learn more about our benefit offerings by visiting our Benefits page.