Senior Underwriter, Small Commercial
Depending on experience this position can be hired at various Underwriting levels.
Underwriting territory in Northern New England - ME, NH & VT. The ideal candidate would be located in these states.
As a Senior Underwriter Custom, you will ensure a profitable book of Property and Casualty insurance business by appropriately evaluating the acceptability of risks within delegated authority levels. You will partner with agents to lead and grow a multi-line book of business by evaluating, selecting, and pricing risks primarily $25,000 and greater. You will support marketing activities to agents and take part in the agency management process. The Senior Underwriter is also responsible for working with and protecting confidential and proprietary customer and Company information.
We encourage you to apply and bring your expertise if you're a:
- Problem solver: You'll crunch the numbers and review the data to determine risk selection, premiums, policies and conditions, as well as identify opportunities for improved growth, profit and diversification
- Strategic Account Manager: As part of your portfolio strategy, you'll ensure a profitable book of Property and Casualty insurance by writing new accounts with premiums of $25,000 and above, growing successful agent and broker relationships and pursuing renewals
- Conscientious professional: Understanding that the deal isn't done until the paperwork is signed, you'll document and compile comprehensive account reviews, state-compliant sign-offs and referrals, letters of authority and underwriting guidelines
- Clear communicator: You'll maintain and nurture successful relationships with agents and brokers, while presenting proposals, negotiating deals and obtaining approvals
- Collaborative teammate: Contributing to overall team success, you'll mentor underwriters in both technical and professional skills, as well as share best practices and identify opportunities for continuous improvement
What you've got:
3-5+ years of commercial underwriting experience
Preferred experience with loss control/risk engineering Skills
Analytical, problem-solving capabilities
Strong territory management skills
Excellent communication skills
An aptitude for building rewarding relationships with agents and brokers, peer underwriters, account analysts and junior underwriters
Command of insurance finance and actuarial concepts
Thorough knowledge of commercial insurance products, underwriting, risk selection, pricing and marketplaces, as well as regulatory issues in relevant territories
Understanding of contract language, including regulatory and policy differences among applicable states
Familiarity with continuous improvement processes and tools
A bachelor's degree in a related field
Professional insurance designations (currently or in process)
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.