In-House Counsel, Reinsurance
Note: this is a Boston based role
Liberty Mutual's Corporate Legal Services (CLS) Team is seeking an attorney to join its Reinsurance Legal group. CLS is a dynamic subsection of Liberty's Home Office Legal group, with a vast array of legal specialties including M&A, Corporate Finance, IT, Corporate Governance, Insurance Regulatory, Real Estate, Reinsurance, Procurement, and Legal Technical Solutions. Joining a group of experienced reinsurance counsel, contract specialists and other legal professionals, this role will provide legal advice and carry out actions impacting the rights, privileges and responsibilities of the Company in ceded and assumed reinsurance, while maintaining high standards of legal and business ethics and professional responsibility.
- Provides high quality oral and written legal advice in a cost-effective manner to internal clients.
- Recommends practical courses of action to achieve client goals within the scope of what is legally permissible.
- Performs comprehensive research and analysis of reported cases, statutes, regulations, and other legal materials regarding issues often characterized by an absence of clear legal precedent and renders clear and unambiguous legal opinions and advice as necessary.
- Represents clients in complex legal and business transactions, generally with minimal supervision, where the facts, the law or the precedents involved can be interpreted differently or are in dispute.
- Reviews, drafts, analyzes, interprets, advises and negotiates various forms of reinsurance agreements for Liberty's US domestic and non-US companies including ceded and assumed reinsurance contracts (treaty and facultative) commutations, adverse development covers, and related documentation including contract amendments and reinsurance collateral arrangements.
- Participates in the reinsurance aspects of mergers and acquisitions including due diligence and appropriate structuring, documentation preparation, review, and negotiation as necessary.
- Assists with, and oversight of, reinsurance disputes, arbitrations and audits including management of outside counsel.
- Completion of law school with a J.D. or L.L.B. degree and admission to the bar of at least one jurisdiction in the United States required. Generally requires at least three years' experience as a practicing attorney.
- Requirements include excellent oral and written communication skills, client focus, managing multiple priorities, attention to detail and demonstrated ability to conduct research and analysis of legal issues.
- Experience with assumed or ceded reinsurance, insurance coverage, including coverage litigation or arbitrations, opinions or advice is preferred, but not mandatory for a candidate who demonstrates a keen interest in Reinsurance matters.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.