PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The purpose of this job is to produce complex actuarial analyses and manage projects through establishing timelines and meeting high levels of service in a fast-growing company. This position exists to support and execute Company strategy as directed by the Chief Actuary. This position will manage, maintain, and improve the existing critical processes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provides complex analyses and participates in process development.
- Provides technical/actuarial analyses in the areas of pricing, reserving, research, and systems integration.
- Identifies potential issues and recommends mitigation strategies.
- Participates in the development and documentation of actuarial processes.
- Broadens knowledge around business rules, industry structure and emerging events, analytic tools and methods, and alternate data sources.
- Responsible for at least one core/critical process within the department.
Manages and follows through with assigned projects.
- Assumes responsibility for concurrent projects assigned.
- Completes assigned projects ensuring that they are delivered on time and within scope.
- Provides regular status updates to project/task lead.
- Ensures key stakeholders are identified and regularly informed of project status
Collaborates within the Actuary team and with other departments.
- Works with individuals in other departments in fulfilling the actuarial role within larger projects.
- Establishes multiple, positive working relationships with others across the organization through various work assignments.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams to maximize resources and contribute to the overall strategy.
This role does not have direct reports but may mentor and/or train junior team members.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university required with a major or emphasis in Math, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of related experience required.
- Experience in commercial lines pricing preferred.
- Minimum of 3 Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) exams required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Thorough knowledge of traditional actuarial models of frequency and severity and ability to assess results.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts, statistical methods, modeling, simulation techniques, trend, indexing, cash flow, and financial analysis.
- Skillful in Microsoft Excel, thorough knowledge of SQL and VBA, basic programming skills in R or Python.
- Ability to grasp analytic concepts and learn new tools and logic within established processes.
- Adaptable to shifting workloads and building positive working relationship within the department.
- Ability to cross-train others and ability to manage and to prioritize concurrent assignments and responsibilities.
Office environment – no specific or unusual physical or environmental demands and employees are regularly required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
This position operates in an office environment and requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier, and other standard office equipment.