Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryTravelers is seeking an Associate Software Engineer to join the Claim UX Team to focus on contributions to the Travelers Design System. The Travelers Design System was created so that we can offer exceptional experiences for customers, partners, and employees. As the Associate Engineer, you will help tackle the next phase of growth of our design system. You will also provide support & guide application teams on proper usage of the Design System.
As the Associate Engineer on the team, you'll actively work on the creation of interface patterns and content. You'll also support other teams across the enterprise using the design system. You'll provide consulting to ensure they deliver exceptional products.
Join us in our effort to make high quality user-friendly solutions with speed and confidence.
- High quality front-end engineering - you'll be working on a thoughtfully crafted design system with accessibility as a built-in attribute.
- You'll be part of an active, open, friendly community of engineers that are excited about building awesome applications.
- You will have the opportunity to make high-impact contributions.?
- Implement reusable patterns for high-impact, high-visibility applications
- Participate in resolution efforts for critical problems, defects, and incidents
- Support technology advocacy and seek opportunities to bring business value
- Contribute to the fostering a team environment
- Works in a collaborative, flexible, and friendly environment.
- Believes in equality, inclusion, and giving back to both the industry and our community.
- Is building a pioneering enterprise-scale product used by many teams & engineers every day.
- Values your professional development.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience.
Additional Preferred Education, Work Experience, and Knowledge
- Two years of programming/development experience
- Design system experience or contribution
- An understanding of visual design, typography, and colors
- Experience in listening to user research and analyzing insights critically
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience with enterprise components and repositories
- An understanding of the principles of accessibility and can build products that are accessible to users with disabilities.
- HTML5, CSS3, Sass, Web Components
- Mobile-first, responsive HTML and CSS framework
- Accessibility - WCAG 2. 0 AA-compliant markup, ARIA
- React, ES6, Node, Gatsby, Stencil
- Git, npm
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Delivery - Developing delivery skills including the ability to participate in team planning, learn to estimate work efforts, assist in the application of designated software design strategy and methodology, test work following relevant examples including automation, take ownership of work after release, quickly addressing issues as they arise and collect and incorporate feedback throughout the process.
- Domain Expertise - Emerging domain expertise including the ability to learn from research, others and through asking thoughtful questions, open to seizing opportunities to increase knowledge.
- Problem Solving - Standard problem solving skills including the ability to debug familiar code or systems easily, recognize when own knowledge or experience is lacking and reach out for guidance and approach each new task as an opportunity to learn, continually applying prior learnings to new challenges.
- Communication - Good communication skills with the ability to articulate thoughts/ideas clearly, collaborate with team members in various roles and document new learnings and solutions for others benefit.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.