Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryReports to Regional Director, Boiler and Machinery Risk Control. Under broad oversight is responsible for managing Boiler and Machinery Risk Control services and staff in a defined region. Responsible for supporting local business strategies. Enables underwriting through delivery of quality risk assessments, and supports the claim process through timely claim investigations. Ensures quality inspection and service delivery. Manages relationships with local business partners including underwriting, claim, and other Risk Control disciplines. Works with local jurisdictions to ensure effective inspection reporting and documentation. Understands the needs of the broad customer base and positions RC services to support new business acquisition and account retention. Leads talent and staff development to align with the technical needs of the business. Actively seeks new talent throughout manufacturing and service industries, for candidates that have the needed credentials and candidates that can obtain the needed credentials. Accountable for work product and quality through a formal QA process. Seeks opportunities to improve service delivery and execution.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage work assignments in assigned territory to ensure technical quality and operational effectiveness. Aligns work based on complexity and RCC skills.
- Actively engages employees, both local and remote, with regular communication by telephone and face to face.
- Provides honest feedback, both supportive and constructive. Responsible for formal feedback in interim and year-end reviews.
- Works with staff to develop and monitor individual development plans. Focuses on skill gaps that are most important to business execution and effectiveness.
- Coordinates training for local staff in conjunction with regional initiatives, business partner plans, emerging issues and market changes.
- Manages quality through co-surveys and survey/file reviews. Responsible for a formal Quality Assurance (QA) process.
- Maintains timely, frequent and relevant communications with direct manager (RD) and business partner leadership.
- Serve as technical resource for Claim Representatives and Account Executives. Provide guidance on the selection of field consultants and/or specialists to be used in special risk control surveys and claim investigations.
- Network, recruit, interview, hire and train new talent to grow a team of experienced RCC's to support current and future business needs.
- Maintain current knowledge of jurisdictional rules and regulations within assigned territory. Represent the company at jurisdictional meetings and ensure field consultants and Regional Director understand current and developing jurisdictional rules and regulations.
- Ensures consultants and staff understand and comply with our Boiler & Machinery Safety Program.
- Supports Account Executives, Marketing Executives, and Regional Directors in marketing presentations when requested.
- Undergraduate degree or 2 years of management experience in claim or risk control required
- 5 years insurance industry experience required.
- Valid Driver's license required
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 5 years' experience in the Boiler and Machinery Risk Control industry preferred
- Undergraduate degree in technical or science preferred
- Experience managing remote employees preferred
Licensing or Certificates
- National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors Commission preferred
- Recognized related professional designations
- (such as CSP, ARM, CPCU CFPS, etc) preferred
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Gives clear direction to staff by defining goals and priorities. Motivates, inspires others to achieve high standards. Leads change, drives results. Promotes enterprise culture. Identify future leaders.
- Business Knowledge:
- Understands Boiler and Machinery insurance products and services
- Technical and Analytical Competency
- Understands the nature of mechanical and electrical equipment, fired boilers and pressure vessels, and the related control and safety systems.
- Communication Skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Is able to make complex technical information clear to audiences with varied levels of technical knowledge.
- Customer Service
- Has a strong customer service skills. Helps ensure that service delivered by the unit meets or exceeds internal and external customer expectations.
- Coaching / Staff Development:
- Helps identify individual opportunities for development and assists in the creation of individual developmental plans.
- Attracts Top Talent:
- Proactively recruits for talent by maintaining networks and doing opportunistic and creative hiring as appropriate.
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.