Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryAre you committed to professional growth and exceptional client service? Imagine a career as a Travelers lawyer where you can be the best you. As a Senior Counsel with Travelers you'll be responsible for high quality, proactive case handling and will have the opportunity to use your legal expertise and litigation skills to independently handle a caseload of higher exposure cases and more complex litigation matters and deliver optimal results for Travelers' insured customers. Travelers offers the strength of a national legal organization committed to your professional development while maintaining a local focus so you can be positioned as a strong legal advocate and valued business partner.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- (May include all or the majority but not limited to these components.)
- In the handling of a caseload of higher exposure cases and more complex litigation matters, your responsibilities will include:
- Litigate cases to verdict demonstrating strong use of trial skills.
- Specialize in one or more areas of practice.
- Demonstrate strong legal research, writing and presentation skills.
- Draft substantive pleadings, motions, briefs, discovery and other legal documents.
- Build and foster internal and external client relationships with a customer-centric focus.
- Provide leadership through mentoring other attorneys and legal support staff.
- Provide internal and external training, seminars and legal updates to insured clients and Claim partners.
- Provide in-depth, substantive analysis and quality reporting to insured clients and Claim partners consistent with best practices.
- Effectively utilize support staff consistent with office protocols and best practices.
- Adhere to all best practices in file handling.
- Fully and effectively utilizes available technology, case management system and automation.
- Travel as required to meet business needs.
- Initiate special projects and identifies other opportunities to support office goals/business needs.
- Juris Doctorate; graduate of an accredited law school.
- A minimum of 7 years of litigation practice or prior legal experience.
- Active license in good standing to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
- Valid driver's license required depending on the location.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Senior Associate/Partner level of experience.
- 7+ years of Litigation practice or equivalent legal experience
- Proven track record of trial skills and techniques.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Appreciation for, and commitment to, delivery of the highest quality legal work.
- Demonstrates strong legal acumen.
- Demonstrates strong technical knowledge in the practice area(s) and the ability to comprehend, assimilate and communicate complex information.
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of the law, bench, bar, local jurisdictional practices, adversaries and the litigation process.
- Proven track record of case results favorable to outside counsel.
- Demonstrates strong leadership through mentoring and influencing skills.
- Demonstrates high level of awareness and dedication to business initiatives and goals.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to professional development.
- Critical and strategic thinker.
- Sound decision-maker and problem solver.
- Strong negotiation, research and trial skills.
- Demonstrates the highest level of commitment to customer service.
- Sense of urgency / responsiveness.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Frequently
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.