Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryTravelers Infrastructure and Cloud Services (ICS) organization is seeking an experienced Sr. Technology Engineer to support Business Intelligence software and infrastructure. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in Systems Administration / Platform Engineering. This role is accountable for both technology and Agile leadership. Technology includes the Business Intelligence software, infrastructure, and supporting software and technologies that allow us to operate and maintain our systems. Agile leadership includes a 'Team Lead' role where you would collaborate with business partners on requirements, scope, priority and overall direction of work for the engineering team.
Under general supervision, demonstrates a thorough understanding of the activities performed related to engineering support, installation and/or operations of infrastructure technologies. Plans at an operational level designing and developing technology solutions interfacing with appropriate customers, management and technical resources. Facilitates and/or participates in the design, development, and implementation of large complex technology solutions supporting one or more business and/or technology areas. Develops and implements appropriate solutions that may involve multiple platforms, databases, software/hardware technologies and tools. Strong ability to multi-task in an environment of changing priorities. This job is a team lead.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Support and maintain Business Intelligence platforms both on-prem and in the Cloud. Includes infrastructure planning and scaling including Cloud platforms, systems maintenance, business customer support, security configuration and management, user management, and systems integration.
- Accountable for the conceptual and technical integrity and/or quality of the outputs of the team.
- Provide guidance and consulting to engineering team on best practices and technical troubleshooting.
- Provide expertise and consulting to technology and business partners on platform usage and optimization.
- Help design, document, and implement administrative procedures for the Business Intelligence platforms.
- Build, leverage, and maintain effective relationships across technical and business community.
- Interact with software vendors for support, escalations, licensing, and general relationship management.
- Lead small to medium sized maintenance and enhancement projects spanning multiple technical areas and disciplines.
- Research, analyze, and evaluate software capabilities in new software versions.
- Provide off-hours support as required.
- Fill role of Agile 'Team Lead' for a team of technology engineers that support our Business Intelligence platforms.
- Work with partner Team Leads and engineering team members to create and refine features for the engineering team to work on.
- Work with engineering team members to clarify expectations and specify requirements in order to facilitate user story creation.
- Maintain and prioritize the team backlog.
- Evaluates systems specifications regarding customer requirements, transforming specifications into cost-effective, technically correct solutions.
- Prioritizes work and manages projects within established objectives and customer priorities.
- Responsible for establishing and managing to established quality control and security protocols.
- Provides the division, department and business area management with timely and accurate information regarding the status and performance of the assigned project(s).
- Leverages technology to develop, redesign and/or implement optimal technology solutions.
- Builds, leverages, and maintains effective alliances across technical and business community.
- Interacts with customers to achieve efficient, effective results.
- Multi-tasks, prioritizes according to business priorities and production availability requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience, required.
- Three years of experience in Technology required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Five years of experience in Technology preferred.
- Experience providing technical direction to project teams preferred.
- Working knowledge of infrastructure technologies such as Network, Database, Server, Storage etc. preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Knowledge of Business Intelligence systems and technologies, with focus on platform implementation, maintenance, and support.
- In depth knowledge of technology infrastructure including Cloud services, platform design, and systems integration.
- In depth knowledge of Windows based operating systems.
- In depth knowledge of software installation, configuration, and maintenance practices.
- Experience with supporting enterprise level platforms, platform integrations, capacity planning, security, monitoring and alerting.
- Experience working with technology vendors and managing vendor support.
- Experience in setup, configuration, and management of common security concepts for integration with LDAP/AD at an Enterprise level.
- Familiar with automation tools like Puppet, Autosys, and scripting languages like Python.
- Ability to research and debug technology challenges through independent research or vendor technical discussion.
- Demonstrated ability to self-teach and self-learn new technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to share learnings with other technology team members in a positive encouraging manner.
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills to build credibility and influence.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.