Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryTravelers is looking for a Data Engineer to work with data from operational systems that will be transformed into business consumption marts. This role will include analyzing / profiling data and determining the right source of truth. Data will be transformed for consumption utilizing a new Metadata Driven-Ingestion Framework. Looking for a self-starter to drive business solutions in an Agile / Collaborative environment.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for system programming and analysis tasks of advanced complexity within multiple systems.
- Acts as subject matter expert for assigned applications, systems or technologies.
- Responsible for transforming business specifications and requirements into organized technical activities.
- Responsibilities include performing complex analysis, assessment, resolution, design, configuration and programming functions at an expert level.
- Leads investigation and resolution efforts for critical/ high impact defects, problems, and incidents.
- Collaborates with project team and other key stakeholders to identify, estimate, and prioritize project and/or enhancement activities.
- Builds, maintains, and utilizes partnerships across the enterprise.
- Provides team direction, mentorship, and feedback to technical resources.
- Ensures work complies with Travelers standards, processes, and protocols.
- Applies knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or enhancements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience, and five years of programming/development experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 6 years of programming/development experience preferred.
- Strong problem solver, value deadlines and complete work on time
- Strong collaboration and communication
- Substantial experience with SSMS, T-SQL (developing, maintaining and troubleshooting complex stored procedures and processes)
- Thorough knowledge of database schemas, tables, relationships, and constraints
- Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), QlikView, ETL etc. is a plus
- Knowledge of data warehousing and CDC concepts
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical Knowledge:
- Able to expertly assess, design develop, and support applications, systems and solutions to achieve business and/or technical requirements.
- Demonstrates technical expertise for multiple languages, applications, systems, technologies, and/or frameworks, and has the ability to influence technical direction or defect resolution.
- Fully understands business applications and/or technical system environments in which the system operates.
- Communication Skills:
- Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience.
- Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members - including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team.
- Able to present complex technical concepts to audiences of varying size and level.
- Business Knowledge & Partnership:
- Able to develop business partnerships and influence business priorities through solution identification aligned with business objectives and goals.
- Able to communicate in business terms and describe IT capabilities and concepts in ways that the business can understand.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Able to proficiently diagnose root causes and solve complex problems.
- Able to evaluate alternative solutions and assess risk before taking action.
- Has the ability to reach sound decisions quickly and escalates appropriately.
- Demonstrates ability to optimize the use of all available resources.
- Team Orientation:
- Able to maintain and enhance partnerships across the organization to achieve objectives.
- Practices objectivity and openness to others' views.
- Able to recognize and support team priorities.
- Accountable to set technical goals and priorities for self and other team members.
- Exhibits team leadership and collaborates with partners.
- Demonstrates ability to identify critical project tasks and establish clear priorities while keeping the bigger picture in mind.
- Able to effectively collaborate with Scrum Master and utilize sound Agile practices.
- Able to manage time and competing priorities.
- Financial Awareness:
- Able to assess the financial impact of recommended designs/solutions.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.