Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThis role is the P&L leader of the Northland business unit accountable for approximately $500 million in premium focused on the fleet and non-fleet Transportation industry. The incumbent will be accountable for providing strategic leadership to the Northland specialty practice and Small Commercial while balancing factors such as our enterprise direction/needs, market demands, competitive intelligence, economic factors and the changing risk profile in the marketplace. In leading the business, incumbent must strategically position for the future while ensuring we are appropriately positioned to address current needs/demands.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Establishes clear performance goals, inspires others to achieve quality results, and holds staff accountable. Provides coaching and drives engagement, development and retention of top talent at all levels.
- Creates a collaborative and inclusive culture.
- Values, embraces and promotes diversity as a business imperative.
- Develops a high degree of trust through demonstrated personal integrity, ethics and a commitment to doing the right thing and in doing so, establishes and maintains an environment that encourages everyone to act in the best interest of the company.
- Develops and directs the implementation of long and short-term business and underwriting strategies to effectively achieve profit and production objectives (e.g. rate, retention, new business) and positions this specialty practice for long term growth and success.
- Provides clear vision and direction of the future and translates it into realistic business strategies, collaborating with others within the business and across the enterprise as appropriate (enterprise, BI, Middle, Small).
- Drives marketing and underwriting strategies reflective of market competitive conditions to ensure that production, underwriting and profitability objectives are achieved.
- Fosters and maintains effective relationships with internal resources (e.g., Risk Control, Claim, HR, IT, Operations, etc.) to coordinate the delivery of all related services to clients.
- Effectively guides and oversees the business' approach to managing relationships with brokers and agents to meet or exceed business goals in a mutually beneficial manner.
- 8 years commercial insurance experience required
- 5 years leadership experience required
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 10 years insurance experience in Commercial Auto/Transportation
- 15 years commercial underwriting experience preferred
- Experience leading employees in multiple locations
- Bachelor's degree preferred
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrates initiative
- Shares and communicates the vision for Northland
- Consistently sets clear direction by defining goals and priorities
- Makes sound decisions
- Develops a high degree of trust through demonstrated personal integrity, ethics and a commitment to doing the right thing
- Energizes others to commit to achieving the highest standards
- Establishes and maintains an environment that encourages everyone to act in the best interest of the company
Marketing and Underwriting:
- Strong marketing and technical underwriting skills necessary to achieve established and stretch business goals
- Recognizes and acts on opportunities to penetrate new markets to increase market share
- Takes intelligent risks
- Understands the business objectives and can act in a decisive manner to achieve financial results
- Customer Focus:
- Identifies customers needs and takes appropriate action to meet those needs
- Acts with a sense of urgency
- Strong knowledge of competitive market conditions
- Works effectively with all levels and can easily build new relationships
- Establishes strong coalitions and networks both within and outside of the Division/Company
- Takes responsibility for decisions and actions
- Manages own work and directs the work of others
- Understands the business and responds to all related issues, concerns and problems
- Establishes clear performance goals and manages performance of staff
- Coaches, mentors and develops staff
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.