Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummarySupport the strategy and managing projects, people or innovation streams. Conduct a variety of statistical analyses including data mining, predictive modeling and/or actuarial techniques. Review analyses and provide direction and insight. Work within broad limits and authority on complex assignments requiring specialized knowledge in breadth and/or depth in area of expertise which may be one or more of the following: Advanced statistical analyses. Actuarial and/or research methods. Broad business knowledge. In-depth Line of Business knowledge. May provide direction to a team of analysts and/or project members. Supporting actuarial and business partners, this position will lead the development, socialization, and implementation of cutting-edge benchmark reserving models and other advanced loss analytics projects.
This role will be located in a Travelers office
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform and manage a variety of advanced statistical analyses including data mining and actuarial research techniques.
- Analyze/interpret data, draw business inferences and clearly articulate findings for target audience.
- May manage one or more advanced research projects simultaneously.
- Present analysis and recommendations to target audience.
- May lead in-depth efforts in applying, validating and implementing predictive models.
- Assist in the development of new approaches to business problems.
- Proactively stay abreast of industry, developments, changing trends and jurisdictional issues. Attend various seminars and conference as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with business partners.
- Partner with peers across organization and potentially across the company, to ensure consistency and alignment where appropriate.
- This role will have management one direct report.
- PhD STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) degree with 1 years experience or Masters STEM degree with 4 years experience or Bachelor's STEM degree with 6 yrs required.
- Moderate working knowledge of modeling/research/analytics or actuarial required.
- Relevant statistical analysis work experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Relevant work experience in research and/or advanced analytic work (e.g. predictive modeling) in the insurance industry preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Computer Proficiency:
- Ability to read/revise/review a statistical software program (e.g. Python, R, SAS, SPSS.
- Ability to create advanced programs from scratch.
- Leading the Business:
- Problem Solving & Decision Making.
- Risk Taking, Innovation.
- Results Orientation.
- Business Perspective.
- Understanding & Navigating the Organization (Includes Collaboration).
- Leading Others:
- Forging Synergy.
- Communicating Effectively.
- Leveraging Differences.
- Building & Mending Relationships.
- Participative Management.
- Leading Employees.
- Employee Development.
- Leading Self:
- Openness to Influence.
- Self Awareness.
- Seeks Opportunities to Learn.
- Leadership Stature.
- Business Acumen:
- Understanding and knowledge of key business knowledge areas (e.g. product, enterprise, industry, claim process and competitors).
- Ability to leverage business knowledge to determine approaches to execution.
- Critical Thinking:
- Ability to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; ability to use reason; review facts, identify inconsistencies and weigh options; ability to make logical and timely decisions that address the right issues.
- Ability to develop advanced models and interpret model results.
- Understanding of advanced statistics underlying data models.
- Ability to apply new statistical procedures to work.
- Demonstrates strong ability and knowledge of database principles, data profiling, statistics and data modeling and can apply this knowledge in new or complex situations.
- May guide other professionals.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.