Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryTravelers is seeking a Senior Data Engineer to join our team as we grow and transform our analytics landscape. In our agile organization, you will lead the design, build and will oversee the deployment and operation of data solutions that capture, store, transform and utilize data to support our data analytics needs.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Data Analysis, Acquisition, Preparation, and Exploration:
- Independently review, prepare, design and integrate complex (type, quality, volume) data, correcting problems and recommend data cleansing/quality solutions to issues. Review unfamiliar data sources.
- Develop moderate data derivations and apply with complex business transformation rules and data requirements.
- Perform analysis of complex (type, quality, volume) sources to determine value and use. Determine and recommend data to include in analytical projects.
Data Solutions & Analytic Implementations:
- Lead the operationalizing and automation of complex data (more systems, data sets and streams, size of data sets more substantial) products into business.
- Establish frameworks to acquire, integrate and operationalize data.
- Build, test, and implement complex analytic business processes, including pilots and proof of concepts.
- Apply knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or enhancements.
- Present and translate complex information in relevant business terms.
- Work within Travelers standards, processes, and protocols.
- Incorporate core data management competencies - data governance, data security, data quality.
- 4 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College Degree in STEM related field
- Advanced knowledge of data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred. Examples (but not limited to):
- ETL Tools: Talend (Preferred), Ab Initio or other similar ETL Tools
- ?Big data and Cloud platforms
- Programming languages - SQL, Spark, Python, Hive, AWS, ETL
- 5 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
Advanced knowledge of one or more of the following tools and techniques:
- Data concepts - Data Warehouse, Data Lake, Data Model, DB Design, Data Mapping
- Data platforms - RDBMS, Big Data and Cloud
- Data integration tools - Talend, Ab Initio
- Scheduling tools - Autosys, Control-M
- Programming languages - Spark, Python, Java
- Dev Ops - Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Version Control
- Data serialization formats - Parquet, Orc
- Cloud services - Ex: AWS (EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, S3, Lambda), Snowflake, Databricks
- Containerization technologies - Docker, Kubernetes
- Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience.
- Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members - including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Able to recognize, analyze, and diagnose business and data issues of advanced complexity.
- Able to creatively evaluate alternative solutions.
- Able to reuse previously completed processes.
- Demonstrates the ability to make routine decisions independently and escalates when necessary.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.