Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThe Senior Counsel position is responsible for providing a broad range of cost-effective, high quality legal services in the area of employment law, including management of litigation and administrative charges and dispute resolution. This position handles complex employment law matters to support Human Resources, management and business initiatives. This position does not lead others.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide legal advice and counsel to internal stakeholders regarding all aspects of employment law including performance management, employment policies and practices, leave of absence, terminations, inclusion and diversity programs and initiatives, wage and hour, contingent workforce issues, training , restrictive covenants, employment litigation, administrative charges and other employment related matters.
- Provide legal advice and counsel regarding employment legal disputes, employee benefits and compensation.
- Represent the company in, and advise internal stakeholders regarding litigation, administrative charges, and internal investigations, including drafting responses to administrative charges and oversight and management of external counsel.
- Draft and negotiate employment-related agreements.
- Proactively partner with the HR Team to build efficient processes that mitigate risk and maintain compliance with employment laws and regulations.
- Coordinate and drive completion of employment related projects, including internal process reviews and new policy roll-out.
- Develop creative approaches to managing and mitigating legal risks and resolving disputes in accordance with company philosophy.
- Participate in creation and delivery of training on employment law matters.
- Advise and help develop, amend, or modify employment policies and procedures.
- Monitor external legal developments and emerging trends in employment law that impact the business and proactively provide advice and counsel to address them.
- Make effective use of technologies and automation to gain efficiencies in the practice of law.
- Work collaboratively and build and maintain strong relationships with internal clients and other lawyers and staff across the legal department.
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent International legal degree; graduate of an accredited law school.
- Minimum of 7 years of prior legal experience.
- Active license to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Minimum of 10 years broad-based employment law experience in a large law firm and/or in-house..
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Occasional travel required.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.