Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryWe are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic team player to join our Strategic Resolution Group Claim team. As an Account Executive Trainee, you will start learning how to help us navigate complex toxic tort, latent injury, sexual misconduct and/or environmental claims. You will learn about the ever-changing landscape of litigation and how to apply that knowledge to the handling and resolution of complex liability claims. We provide a comprehensive training program to assist you in sharpening your analytical, communication, and negotiating skills. You will collaborate across teams and may work one-on-one with an assigned mentor as well as your team supervisor. As you progress through the training program you will start handling small to moderate exposure claims in a variety of jurisdictions. You will develop a fundamental knowledge of applicable law in multiple jurisdictions, learn how to identify key coverage and liability issues, and begin to acquire the skills needed to provide recommendations to management regarding strategies to resolve claims and estimate their financial exposures.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility. Employees in this position are part of a training or development program that may require up to a six-month waiting period before they are eligible for the hybrid model. During the initial six-month training program, employees may be required to work up to five days in the office.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- In the handling of small to moderate exposure claims, and task-based assignments, your responsibilities may include:
- Participate in on-going training - Modules and actively participate in group discussions. Work closely with supervisor and peer mentors for guidance and feedback.
- Coverage Research and Analysis - Learn how to research the existence of policies that may have been issued by multiple legacy companies. In close consultation with supervisor, analyze and evaluate the company's coverage obligations; apply knowledge of relevant legal concepts in applicable jurisdictions; prepare coverage position and present recommendations to management or coverage committee. With guidance from supervisor, effectively communicate coverage positions to policyholders or their representatives.
- Liability Investigation and Analysis - In close consultation with supervisor, conduct thorough investigations and analysis of claim facts to determine liability. Acquire knowledge of relevant legal concepts in jurisdiction to evaluate damages, and to develop recommendation for appropriate course of action.
- Litigation Management - In close consultation with supervisor, develop and execute a strategic file management plan, including as appropriate: litigation and resolution strategies; management of loss adjustment expenses; engagement of appropriate experts; and the use of proper settlement and release terms.
- May accompany supervisor to meetings with counsel, settlement conferences and mediations.
- Account Management - Acquire knowledge and understanding of assigned accounts. Develop effective working relationships with other account contacts. Ensure claims and settlement agreements are handled in a consistent manner; Provide customer service to internal and external clients; Responsible for regular communication and reporting to coordinate / align actions on assigned accounts. Send appropriate correspondence (as approved by supervisor) and ensure proper file documentation.
- Financial Analysis - With guidance from supervisor, estimate financial exposures on an individual claim and account basis; establish and maintain defense and indemnity estimates; and may assist in the preparation of annual budget reports.
- File Maintenance and Administrative Compliance - Learn how to maintain well-documented and organized claim files. Develop proficiency with SRG claim systems and databases. Adhere to applicable requirements for data accuracy. Efficiently manage file inventory.
- HS Diploma or GED
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within six months of starting the job.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Education & Work Experience:
- Bachelor's degree
- Some work, volunteer or internship experience. Law-related or claim-related experience.
- Job specific or technical competencies:
- Analytical Thinking
- Judgment & Decision-Making
- Customer Focus
- Relationship Management
- Business Perspective
- Planning & Organizing
- Application of Departmental Practices and Procedures
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment (Continuously)
- Sitting (Frequently)
- Standing (Occasionally)
- Lifting items up to 11-20 pounds/ (Occasionally)
- Use of Keyboards (Continuously)
- Driving (Occasionally)
- Travel (Occasionally)
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.