Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThe Bond and Specialty Insurance division of Travelers is seeking to add an Associate Account Executive (Underwriter) to our Professional Liability team. This is an opportunity to join a successful, dedicated, and collaborative team of underwriters in a highly visible and challenging role. Associate Account Executives (Underwriters) have the opportunity to build a unique and rewarding career at an Industry leader within a highly specialized niche of the Insurance Industry.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting in Professional Liability is a dynamic blend of the following:
- Financial analysis/risk assessment: gather and analyze pertinent information in order to evaluate the acceptability of business risk within assigned book of business
- Marketing: build and maintain relationships with agents, brokers, and insured clients to help achieve business goals
- New business development and retention: sell to, negotiate with, and influence agents and brokers to manage a profitable book of business
Utilizing Travelers' extensive amount of resources and tools, a Professional Liability Associate Account Executive (Underwriter) will have the opportunity to make an impact and will:
- Develop underwriting skills, product knowledge, and understanding of business unit strategy
- Support the management of a high quality, diverse, and complex customer base across multiple industries
- Partner with other high performing underwriters, senior leadership, and a highly specialized internal Claim organization to execute business unit underwriting strategy
- Build and maintain successful relationships with assigned agents and brokers
- Work with manager to design, develop, and implement a broker/agency sales and marketing plan specific to assigned territory
- Learn to leverage Industry leading product expertise and data analytics to identify new business opportunities
- Develop personally and professionally through training, mentorship, active management support, and a wide variety of career development resources
Experience Travelers' unique culture which is collaborative, supportive, and values the need to balance work and life.
- A minimum of 1 year of related professional experience is required.
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Typically has a minimum of 1-3 years of work experience.
- Demonstrates a fundamental understanding of the local marketplace.
- Demonstrates an ability and desire to learn about Travelers and BU critical business issues and financial drivers.
- Is able to apply that understanding to the sales plan, pricing strategy and underwriting strategy.
- Working knowledge of BU products/coverages and pricing and the linkages to strategy.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work.
Licensing or Certificates
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Able to proficiently use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools.
- Can negotiate skillfully in routine situations. Able to gain the trust of others quickly.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Can identify current or future problems or opportunities; able to analyze, synthesize and compare information to understand issues; able to identify cause/effect relationships and can explore alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Able to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Can provide service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Able to exercise sound judgment, make decisions and commit to a position.
- Has the ability to work with and include people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Can seek out, build, foster and maintain productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Can work with others in situations where a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Can takes ideas different from own seriously; able to share responsibility and collaborate with others; accepts criticism well.
- Able to self-reflect on strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Can seek out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
- Can act as a role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.