PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Exciting opportunity to join a company that is recognized nationally as an industry leader. The purpose of this job is to provide paralegal assistance to the Legal Department. This position exists to ensure that departments within the company and its affiliates are compliant with state law, and to confirm that legal contracts are correctly stored and maintained.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs corporate secretarial function and gathers materials for meetings and filings as needed.
- Prepares materials for Company Board Meetings.
- Prepares and files all Secretary of State Filings for all companies, including information updates.
- Manages biographical affidavits as needed for insurance companies.
- Maintains entity record books.
- Prepares and follows up on state admission filings.
- Researches regulatory requirements for filings and contacts (written and oral) with the applicable department of insurance regarding requirements and other issues.
- Gathers signatures and provides notarization of documents.
- Maintains corporate equity information in online system.
Oversees the maintenance of corporate contracts and certificates.
- Manages contract information in the Contract Management System.
- Maintains contract files in the legal department.
- Prepares and sends Nondisclosure Agreements (NDA) to third parties.
- Works with IT on creating and revising processes for management of contracts in the Contract Management System.
- Maintains all Certificates of Authority for all insurance companies.
- Maintains licensing for Risk Insurance Brokers of the West and On Point Risk Solutions.
Performs litigation administrative duties.
- Maintains paper and electronic litigation files for administrative hearings.
- Processes subpoenas and complaints received.
- Assists with submitting pleadings and subpoena responses, as necessary.
- Assists with processing of Legal department invoices, including via e-billing system.
This role does not have supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university preferred with major or emphasis in Business Administration, Legal or related field.
- Minimum 7 – 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Paralegal certificate or equivalent degree from an accredited program required.
- Notary Public certification required but can be obtained after hire.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business or legal periodicals, professional journals, and government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Proficient in use of Microsoft Office products, DocuSign, and Contract Management Application. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Office environment – no specific or unusual physical or environmental demands and employees are regularly required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
This position operates in an office environment and requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier, and other standard office equipment.